Wednesday, November 16, 2022

 November 16, 2022


Reflection



YOU HAD ME WHEN ....


Once more, in the movie, As Good As It Gets, Holly Hunter says the line she said to Melvin, "You had me when...."


Then he loses her with his return comment .... as he puts his foot in his mouth.


The message she gives is: "You should have stopped then and there."


In relationships I see this going on at times.


A person says something and they are our friend for life - or the opposite happens - a person says or does something and we give up on them for life.


When we were studying the Jungian Personality Types - one of the personality traits for those who have a strong suit when it comes to operating out of or functioning with feelings, it's that when they have doubts, they become absolute doubts.


Those who function out of thinking can have intellectual doubts and the person they have doubts about can recover more easily.


Being a feeler type, I resonated with this.


If I have doubts about another, I am not logical about them. My gut sends the signal: "Avoid this person!"


It's not logical.  It could be their beard or their tattoos or something they say or do or what have you.


We know cultures who know this stuff with the repetition of the old saying: "Fool me once, it's not my fault.  Fool me twice, it is my fault."


There is the same message with dogs peeing on our leg. It's that second time....


So folks have doubts about others - just as the have gut feelings about this person - as being a good one.


The stuff of life is in the meetings after a mistake in a relationship - or not being blind after a commitment.

No comments: