Friday, November 18, 2022

 November 25, 2022


Reflection



SPEAKING IN TONGUES


I have been asked at various times about "Speaking in Tongues."


I usually pause when I hear this question.


I hesitate.


I don't use my tongue in answering some questions too quickly.


I wonder if the person asking about speaking in tongues is puzzled about this phenomenon - or whether they think it's funny - weird - crazy - or what have you.


Or maybe the person asking this thinks they have the gift or want this gift or someone they know has this gift.


Maybe they want me to try to praise God for what has happened.


Keep still my tongue.


When I hear about speaking in tongues - two personal experiences- show up in my memory.


The first happened years ago in a Bible Study Week in Mundelein Seminary - that I was at just outside of Chicago. One of the main speakers was Father Joseph Fitzmyer, a world famous expert on the Bible.  He was asked in a Q. and A. session about speaking and praying in tongues.


I didn't tape him - or what have you - but he didn't think what was going on here and there in the church back then - was what was happening today. He was that direct.  He simply said he didn't see what was happening in the Acts of the Apostles to be the same as what was happening in different charismatic groups and individuals today


He was not loud, but to me he was definitive.


The second experience happened in Long Island. Someone invited two of us to a prayer experience.  Someone started speaking in a language that I didn't get.  It was taped.  Then there was a short break. 


Then a man with a tape recorder played that speaking in tongues. He hit the stop button. Then he said, "The Holy Spirit is saying, 'So and so should break up with his wife and move on.'"


I thought to myself, "No way! Let's get out of here!"


We said nothing - but left as soon as this was over.


Surprise.


This morning I'm reading in the Prayer of Christians something from a sermon by St. Anthony of Padua. It went this way, "The man who is filled with the Holy Spirit speaks in different languages. These different  languages are different ways of witnessing to Christ, such as humility, poverty,  patience and obedience;  we speak in those languages  when we reveal in ourselves these virtues to others. Actions speak louder than words - let you words teach and your actions speak.[Page 1470, Volume III.]


No comments: