Monday, October 17, 2022

October 16, 2022


Reflection



 STOPPING FOR ICE CREAM


Last night I drove back home to Annapolis from New Jersey.


I went up for a funeral of a little baby girl: Elizabeth Mary.


Then I decided to see if Al and Sylvia were home.  I had seen them near Elizabeth Mary's family at the funeral.


Heading down 301 I could see all the red lights ahead of me -  before I'd get to the Bay Bridge.


I come into a traffic jam,


I haven't been in one like this in years.


I smile - because most of the time I've been on the other side - going in a different direction.


We all stop.


It's 10:15 P.M.


I turn my motor off - with tractor trailer and trucks and cars - all doing the same thing.


Standing there on the highway - we all started talking to each other.  Truckers said it was a major, major accident way up ahead of us.


It's 11: 40 and trucks and cars start their engines and start to crawl forward.


As I got closer to the bridge there were still some police cars with lights flashing.


I had seen a few ambulances and tow trucks pulling cars on the opposite side.


Finally, we saw about 10 wrecked cars - and many police cars on the shoulders - with their lights on.


I'm sure we all prayed for those who were hurt here tonight.


I got home by 1 A.M. and was in bed by 2 A.M.


For some reason - looking back - I still see all kinds of us - having stopped for ice cream - at a D.Q. - licking ice cream - holding shakes - talking - talking - talking - thanking our lucky stars - for getting stuck at that spot - so close to ice cream - so close to a D.Q. that stayed open that night for the rest of us.


I had stopped for a D. Q. and a bathroom break - about a half hour before we hit that traffic jam.


Would I have been in that accident - if I hadn't stopped for that first ice cream - and bathroom break?


I did say a prayer when I started back home that night. Was it that - that saved me - or the ice cream?


I'll go with the ice cream.


Always get ice cream - when you're heading home - in the night.








No comments: