Wednesday, November 2, 2022

 November 2, 2022


Reflection



ADVENT  THEMES


Preparing for Christmas has a lot more energy than preparing for any other special day of the year.


It still has it - in spite of comments - in spite of these other feast days for people who are not Christian - that have been highlighted lately.


Here in the northern hemisphere - in the northern part of the northern hemisphere - darker, colder days certainly become a theme for talking, feeling and realizing.


Waiting is a major theme - waiting to see family - waiting for Christmas cards - waiting for gifts  - waiting in line.


Gifts - giving - trying to find a special gift that will lift the mind and heart of those we love certainly is a theme and a reality.


Lights certainly are part of the scene - lights in windows - lights in trees - lighting up wreaths - houses with long strings of lights.


Decorations are part of the scene and the season.


Pins - women wearing tiny replicas of wreathes and candles certainly enter the story.  Nice.


I like - or better what hits me each Advent is to do a whole book on Advent - a short book - on words beginning with  W.


Would I have enough material?


Waiting, watching, wanting, way, wisdom, we, whole, wreathe ....


That's what I have now  - sitting here on December 19, 2007.


It looks like that book of Advent themes won't be done this year. If I get to it, will I come up with enough words beginning with W?


[It's now November 2, 2022 - and I still haven't done this.  Surprise I am going to give 3 talks covering 3 themes beginning with W - in St. Mary's Annapolis, Maryland in early December.]

I





No comments: