Thursday, November 3, 2022

 nOVEMBER 3, 2022


Reflection



LITURGICAL  NAZI'S


I almost used the phrase, "Liturgical Nazi" in a sermon.


Good move that I didn't because that might have hit someone the wrong way.


Good move because when speaking from the pulpit, the people in front of the speaker, don't have the opportunity to speak up and ask for clarification.


The word "Nazi" or the image it could provoke is that of storm troopers breaking through one's door.


People could be grabbed and pushed into a truck - never to be seen again.


People don't go to church to be hassled or provoked.


Yet I have experienced - the so called "liturgical police" at times. It's not that often after a church service but this happens at times.


I've said "you" instead of "thou" in the Hail Mary - not expecting to get criticized for doing that - without realizing I was doing just that.


When I heard that the pope wanted to change some of the words in the Our Father prayer, I said to myself, "That should be interesting."


I'm sure someone would say,  "You can't change the words "hallowed" to "holy" or "art"' to "are" in the Our Father.


If you read the Douai or the King James Bible - you'll notice "thou" and "thy" a lot. Yet the New American Bible moved to "you" and "your".


Where it really hits home is at the Mass. People want priests to say and to pray it by the book.


Yet we were told to pray with variety in mind at times.


Catholic TV shows sometimes make comments about "liberal" behaviors.


I guess the bottom line for some people is, "We want uniformity and conformity."


I'm glad there are so many options in celebrating the Sacred Liturgy.


I went to Mass every week day - all through Catholic grammar school. It was the same Mass - the same readings - the same black fiddle back vestments.  It was the same music in Latin.


So it was wonderful waking up in the Catholic Church in my lifetime - with an updated Mass.  Wonderful. If someone wants the old way - I just smile and inwardly pray,  "Come Holy Spirit."




No comments: