Friday, November 4, 2022

 November 4, 2022


Reflection




THE CREATOR


I'm sitting there praying - sort of spaced out.


It's early Monday morning.


I'm looking at the ceiling - where it comes to an edge - where it meets a wall - and then a floor and then I see that the work is excellent - and some of what I see is connected to people.


I picture the people who did this work a long time ago.


It just didn't happen.


Then it overwhelms me - that is - everything in front of me - above me - around me - under me - all was created - by others - other than me.


Then there is the universe.


In fact, there is nothing I made - trees,  cloth, nails, plaster, plastic, paper, flowers, nothing ....


Then it hits me - a question, "How could anyone be an atheist- - a word that begins with and A. It's the privative alpha - signifying without - followed by the word "theos" - the Greek word for God.


Joseph Oppitz - our philosophy professor - way back in college when we were studying metaphysics - had said, "The best argument for the existence of God - is the existential argument."


He added, "Everything that is in existence is in existence by either itself or something else is keeping it in existence."


I know I'm not keeping myself in existence.


Therefore something else is doing that.


That something is a Power.


Some call that power, "God!"


That power - God - the Higher Power - is keeping the whole of existence in existence.


What that power, that God, is like - that's another story.


Whether Christ is God - that's another story.


Now, how things, are created, that is where people use computers, paper and pens, and they start writing - they start figuring - they start trying to get to the bottom of things.


So no wonder a good name for God is "The Creator" or the "Higher Power that keeps all that  exists, in Existence."


I prefer to call God, "I am" and pause with and before and in front of all things - and say, "Okay, next!"









No comments: