Sunday, October 30, 2022



 October  30,  2022


Reflections




IT'S  OKAY


Its okay not to like spinach.


Spinach is good - but it's okay if you don't like it.


In my sermon yesterday for the Feast of Christ the King - 2007 - I mentioned  a saying about priests and pastors that I had heard: "1/3 of the people like you; 1/3 don't like you; and 1/3 don't care."


Then I talked about religious art and I mentioned the big cross at St. John Neuman Church.


Well after that Mass, a little old lady stopped to say, "Good bye" to me. Then she added,  "Thank you for saying it's okay not to like the big cross up there in our church."


I didn't exactly say that.  That was not my aim.


Yet she was thanking me for helping her to think about something she didn't like - and it was okay to do that.


The plate is passed around the table and we don't have to take Aunt Martha's leek soup.


Buffet style food gathering places are wonderful for those who like variety - for those with likes and dislikes.


What happens in a family of vegetarians if one kid likes meat?


What happens when "have to's" are forced on those who don't have "want to's"?


I've noticed forced - or attempted have to's - on the part of religious leaders - popes - and church leaders. It's part of wanting uniformity, control, a united front, etc.


Parents must have extra stress when the other parent is too severe or too strict on one of their kids - and it drives the other crazy.


What were the parents like  in the story of priests and nuns who join very uniform driven religious communities?  Were those parents too severe or too lax?


Is it okay to say, "It's okay!"


It's okay.


There I said it.

No comments: