Tuesday, March 27, 2012


REALIZING 
WHO JESUS IS….

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 5th Tuesday in Lent is, “Realizing Who Jesus Is….”

A STORY ABOUT TWO PRIESTS

Two Redemptorist priests stationed in our house is Washington D.C. were known to argue from time to time on theological questions. To use labels, one was considered, “liberal” - the other “conservative”.

The “conservative” died and was laid out in our house chapel in Washington. That night around midnight another guy was in the small choir loft - looking down into the chapel - just dropping in to say a night prayer. The chapel door down below opened. In walked the “liberal guy.” He went up to the casket. He stood there in silence for a while. The other guy in the choir loft remained very, very quiet - nervous as not to scare the priest down below. Then the “liberal” guy says to the dead guy, “Now you know. Now you know I was right!”

That story has made the rounds in many a conversation amongst Redemptorists.

AFTER WE DIE

What hits me in this story are the questions: what will we know after we die? What will happen? How does it all work?

To answer these basic questions, to figure out my wonderings, I rely on three texts. The first is my own: “We have to die to find out!” The second text is from Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians. “Now we are seeing a dim reflection in a mirror; but then we shall be seeing face to face” [1 Corinthians 13:12]. The third text is also from Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians, “Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, what things God has prepared for those who love him.” [1 Corinthians 2:9] All three quotes are based on faith - belief in what we cannot prove or see.

THE GOSPEL OF JOHN - WHAT ABOUT DISCOVERING CHRIST BEFORE WE DIE?

Today’s gospel reading is from John. I don’t know about you, but I find the Gospel of John to be a very unique gift to our world.

I find the Gospel of John different - dreamy - difficult - compared to Matthew, Mark and Luke.

I worked with a priest for 8 ½ years before I came to Annapolis. He didn’t care for the Gospel readings after Easter that were from John. They seemed at times to be convoluted and repetitive and downright mysterious. He is not the only one I’ve heard who has this opinion.

So I’ve always been looking for a key to unlock the Gospel of John.

I think that key is in today’s gospel when Jesus says, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM….”

CONCLUSION: THEN THEY KNOW

I think some people don’t meet Jesus for the first time till after their death. Then they know.

I think some people discover Jesus when they are lifted up or nailed down to a cross - when they face their Good Fridays big time - a lot of suffering. It’s then some people really start to pray. Then they know.

I think John in his gospel present a whole series of people whom Jesus meets and then they know.

Andrew meets Jesus - then he knows. A couple run out of wine at their wedding, then they and those present know. Nicodemus comes to Jesus at night. Slowly he knows. A Samaritan woman meets Jesus. Then she knows. A man paralyzed for 38 years at a pool is healed. Then he knows. A woman caught in adultery is not stoned but saved. Then she knows. A blind man is cured. Then he knows. A dead man comes back to life. Then he knows.

From time to time we run into people who say they don’t know God or they say they are atheists. I sometimes wonder what they would think if we told them we believe that a carpenter named Jesus, born of a Virgin, 2000 years ago, is the son of God and we know him - a bit - and we hope to get to know him even more before we die. And those who see us in our casket won’t be saying, “Now you know!” Rather they know, we knew Jesus. Amen.

*******

Painting on top, Doubting Thomas by Caravaggio [1573-1610]

1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

The word "know " kept popping out of your homily , reminding me of just about the first thing I remember from catechism .

" Why were you born ?"
" I was born to know , love and serve God in this world and be happy with Him forever "

I'm thankful for the experiences in my life that helped me see and know Jesus in a deeper way .