Wednesday, March 28, 2012

IF  I  WROTE  
MY SONG,
WHAT WOULD BE 
ITS WORDS?



March  28,  2012

Quote for Today


This is an English translation of the the Aria, "Nemico della Patria" an "Enemy of the Country" - which is the name of an opera by the composer Umberto Giordano. It  tells the story of Andrea Chanier [1762-1794] - who was executed during the French Revolution. It is sung by Andrew Costello - the famous baritone opera singer. I've been looking on the Internet for people with the same name as I have. This Andrew Costello is the third that I noticed.  I saw listed at least 50 more!


An enemy of his country?
An old fable that gladly
the public still swallows.
Born in Constantinople? A foreigner!
Studied at Saint-Cyr? A soldier!
Traitor! Accomplice of Dumouriez!
A poet? Corruptor of hearts
and of traditions!
Once I lived happily
in the realm of hatred and vengeance,
pure, innocent, and strong.
A giant, I believed myself!
I am still a servant...
I've only changed masters...
a slave to violent passions!
Ah, worse! I kill and tremble,
and while I kill, I weep.
I, a son of the Revolution,
first heard its cry
and joined it with my own.
Have I now lost faith
in that dream?
How illumined with glory
was my path!
The conscience of the heart
to reawaken in men;
gathering up the tears
of the oppressed and suffering;
making the world a paradise;
transforming men into gods;
and with a single kiss--
and with a single kiss and embrace,
to love all humanity!

*************

Some questions - [in an attempt to justify this quote - so as to get the singer with my name into the picture.]

What have I swallowed - and realized afterwards - it was bunk?

What life hats have I worn? Baby, child, student, teenager, wife, husband, mom, dad, grandparent, accountant, military, poet?

Was I ever filled with myself - feeling like a giant - till I was humbled? What happened?

Am I still a servant? Do I see life as a chance to serve or to be served? Which is more me?

What have been my dreams?

What have been my paths?

Have I ever been or wanted to be in on a revolution or a cause?

What kind of a conscience do I have? Strict? Lax? Social Justice Oriented? Guilt laden? Scrupulous?

What have I cried over?

Do I see Jesus as the one who can transform us into God - but the road is a strange one: that of self emptying.

Has my love for others expanded to love all humanity - or do I still have my walls and barriers - prejudices and misunderstandings of others.




No comments: