Monday, March 26, 2012

CAN I BE OF
SERVICE TO YOU?

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this feast of the Annunciation is, “Can I Be of Service to You?”

Those 7 words - “Can I Be of Service to You?” - is the message waitresses and waiters say to us at restaurants - as well as the words sales people say to us in stores or businesses or on the phone.

“Can I Be of Service to You?”

That’s the theme and the thought that hit me as I came to the end of today’s gospel, when Mary says, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.”

AFRAID

Today’s gospel - Luke 1: 26-38 - also has the angel saying to Mary up front, “Do not be afraid.”

I would suspect that’s the bottom line in life - being afraid - because we don’t know how much of our service will be called for - how much of our time will be taken - if we give our “yes” to the annunciations for service - to others.

I would suspect the bottom line is the fear of how much this is going to cost - to bring a child into this world - to volunteer to drive someone somewhere - to give a pledge - to invite an aging mom, dad, uncle or aunt - into our home - fearing that this might drive me crazy or drive me to the grave.

Love is wonderful - but it can become very expensive.

No wonder, we wonder, “Is there an escape clause?” to my “Yes!”?

I was having coffee this morning with one of our Monday morning money counters - and he said, “Harold is the one who asked me 20 years ago, ‘How would you like to be an usher?’” I said, “Yes” and here it is 20 years later.

Everything costs us time, money, energy, life.

Isn’t that why Christianity has made it? We’re now near our 2000th year - still following Jesus basic message: giving.

Question: "Life: what’s it all about?"

Answer: "Life - what it’s all about is the daily mass of life - saying with Jesus to the world, ‘This is my body…. This is my blood…. I’m giving myself to you in memory of Jesus.’”

CONCLUSION

The Christian is a walking announcement - an everyday annunciation to the world - where we say to everyone, “Can I be of service to you?” - where we say to the world what Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.”


***

Painting on top: "The Annunciation" by Aurelio Bruni


No comments: