Friday, March 30, 2012



WHISPERS  
OR   STONES?

INTRODUCTION

Which hurt more: whispers or stones?

The title of my homily for this 5th Friday in Lent is, “Whispers or stones?

TODAY’S READINGS

Today’s first reading from Jeremiah 20: 10-13 begins with Jeremiah hearing “the whisperings of many….”

Today’s gospel from John 10:31-42 begins with these words, “The Jews picked up rocks to stone Jesus.”

That’s where the thought for this homily came from.

Then the question: “Which hurt more: whispers or stones?”

CHILDHOOD SAYING

Children were taught to say to those who taunted or bullied them with words as kids, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.”

But the adults who  taught their kids to say that knew that names hurt both kids and adults - often much worse than sticks and stones.

Kids learn fast that the rule on the bus and the playground is: “Bully rather than be bullied.”

There are 2 kinds of people: those who bully and those who are bullied.

There are many articles and comments on talk radio shows lately about this issue of bullying. The goal is to cut down bullying - even stop it - if possible.

I don’t know about what your childhood was like - but I know that kids don’t know what they are doing - but they can be challenged to learn to know what they are doing. I know I joined the pack to pick on those who were different: those who were overweight, had glasses, pimples, or big ears. If we got past the stage of our mom bringing us to school (we could walk in our day), and some other kid didn’t, we might pick on that kid as a “momma’s boy”.

ADULTS

We know that once a person is accused of something - if it was a false accusation - it’s hard to put mud back into the puddle - it’s hard to remove graffiti from a person’s reputation.

In small print we read from time to time about someone who was accused of sexually abusing a kid - commits suicide - and sometimes the accusation is false.

Jeremiah goes down in history as the man who was in the pits. That’s where his accusers tossed him.

Jesus goes down in history as the man whose whispers against ended him up at Calvary. Jesus goes down in history as the man who died on the cross - with spit on his skin - along with blood and bruises from falling and being beaten. 

CONCLUSION: GOLDEN RULE

I’m still learning - because I still whisper and sometimes spit or spurt out a comment about another - getting a laugh from the others - but a pained look - if I look - on the face of the person I throw a word rock or stone at.

I know if I take the time to pause before I open my mouth - for a whisper or a shout - and ask, “Would I like it, if someone did this to me?” 

I believe the Golden Rule is another saying parents teach kids - along with “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.”

1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

Words can really hurt and damage for a long time .

Words can heal as well as medicine at times .

Maybe that's why humans were given the gift of speech .