Tuesday, December 21, 2010



DEATH


From time to time we find ourselves thinking
about the moment we will die and slip into
what’s next – that is, if there is a, “What’s next?”
We wonder if anyone will be there on the other
side of the dark door of death or will it be light?
We hope someone will be there at our death bed
to hold our hand – to say a prayer or “I love you!”
We wonder if someone will be there watching a
monitor that will show our lifeline going flat.
We wonder if there will be tears and a gulping
scream. Does it say anywhere in the scriptures,
“It’s not good to die alone?”* Jesus, you said
from the cross “Father, into Your hands
I place my spirit.” and “It’s finished!”**
And Jesus I pray that you’ll be waiting there
for me at daybreak on the other shore of death.
Jesus, don’t ask if my nets are empty or filled.
Just call out my name and say,
“Come and have breakfast.”***




* Genesis 2:18

** Luke 23:46; John 19:30

***
John 21


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2010

No comments: