Sunday, October 9, 2022

October 9,  2022


Reflections 



VALUES


I have never sat down and listed my values.


I would assume two things: One, there is a list somewhere of things people think are of value; Two, I can judge for myself what my values are,


If my memory serves me, as the phrase goes, there are distinctions when it comes to talking about values.


For example, there are social values and there are religious values.


We studied stuff like this when we took Sociology in college.


I'm sure if I simply typed "values" in the search box on Google I'd get a good variety of hits.


What's the Greek word for value?


What's the Aramaic word for value?


Is Jesus talking about values when he talks about the pearl of great price and the treasure in the field?


Was Jesus getting at values when he gave us the Parable of the Good Samaritan.


I believe Christianity is teaching us that people are more important than things.


If I saw a row boat slipping and it looks like it's going to slide off a pier into the water, I would try to do something. I would look for the owner. I might yell to anyone nearby. If I thought it was going to hurt someone and I could do something, I hope I would try to do something. If there was a kid or an old man in the boat, I better try to do something.


That example tells about my values.


I would chase after a $100 bill in the wind - more than a $1 dollar bill.


In a marriage I would think listening has a higher value than speaking.


I think I would feel more sad over a 150 year old church burning that a 5 year old rather new church.


Yet I guess when it comes to values, there are many variables - and the need to say, "It all depends."



No comments: