Saturday, October 15, 2022

 October 15, 2022


Reflection


HAPPINESS


I'm still thinking of the psychologist - Doctor Robert Holden -  who was on Oprah last week.  He has a book out on happiness.  He also got his Ph.D. studying happiness.


I was on the treadmill exercising while watching Oprah.  I was happy to do that - two birds with one stone.


That program was well orchestrated.  Different people were given a test about How Happy Are You? 


There were 5 questions - or statements. People were asked to score themselves 1 to 7 - [7 being the highest].


Here are the 5 questions or statements.


1) In most ways my life is close to ideal. [    ]


2) The conditions of my life are excellent. [    ]


3) I am satisfied with my life. [    ]


4) So far, I have gotten the most important things I want in life. [    ]


5) If I could live my life over, I would change almost nothing. [    ]


From: Ed Diener, University of Illinois



He then had 5 of them standing in front of the TV audience - and Oprah and others were asked to pick who they thought  scored best in the test and who didn't.


The lady whom Oprah scored second lowest - 5 out of 35 - something like that I think.


The questions cand be found on her web site.


This lady - a mother of six - said she was a people pleaser. She said she was well loved - but did nothing for herself. All she did was for others.


The lady who scored lowest - indicated she made many - several wrong life decisions - but now she's finally coming out of that way of doing life.


There was one man in the five who were on stage. He was an undertaker.  He saw his life as someone who helps folks deal with death. He was the one who said that he saw the key to life was  to be more significant than to be successful.


What would it look like to be a significant undertaker, or priest or doctor or mom or dad or friend.


As i pondered that I remembered Martin Luther King's comment: if you're a garbageman, be the best garbageman people ever met.


Words ....


I thought that I have to think about all this.


I have to get back to a book I've been writing all these years: The Eight Secret of Happiness.


I also thought about the dialogue that took place between Oprah and the people being interviewed.


They talked about joy and happiness. They talked about giving and receiving.  They talked about self-pity and pity parties.


The program  brought up and brought into the conversation thoughts about self-esteem, self-evaluation, self-understanding, self-acceptance, self-care and self-happiness.


How happy are you?










No comments: