Monday, October 3, 2022

 October 3, 2022


Reflection



ROADS, RIVERS AND RAILROADS



Every once and a while, it's time to stop.


Every once and a while it's time to move.


Hit the road - sail the seas - get a ticket to go.


I often keep running into the question: "Is your main spiritual image that of the home or the road - the porch or the highway?"


I'll always be grateful for an old nun who asked us that question in a conference in the 1990's.


Just by asking that question - changed the way I was thinking - and I learned to relax and be at home more.


Okay, I can't dance. I can't sing. I can't do math that well, but I can sit and watch the show. I can celebrate all the work - that went into a piano concert - and a band marching up the street - or a football team playing the game down on the field.


Life is obviously both.


Life is obviously balance.


I think of St. Alphonsus' rule: Never waste a moment of time.


I think of St. Alphonsus's father saying, "Never enough, Fonsi. Never enough. More."


I think of St. Alphonsus - during the times he suffered with scrupulosity - always thinking, "I'm sinning. I'm doing wrong."


What would it be like to do a study - or write an article - trying to establish if Alphonsus moved to the center - when he got off the road - sat down with a glass of wine - and enjoyed the surrounding scenery.


I think of Thornton Wilder's comment about ice cream, "My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate." 


Is this what the Buddhists are calling for - in their message of mindfulness?


Is this feminist spirituality - the mother - the stay at home mother - stepping back - and enjoying her family - enjoying a meal together - the moment?


Step back Jack. Step back. Enjoy the trains - lower the anchor - enjoy the scenery.


No comments: