Sunday, October 23, 2022

 October 23, 2022


Reflection



MY WILL BE DONE


My will be done when taking the roads of life.


I bring my car to get it serviced. I leave it there and they get me back home. Nice. 


They call. It's finished. I ask one of the guys here to drive me there. They say they know where the place is.  They drive a different way than the way I would take.


Surprise! Their way to get there is a better way.


We're at supper. The other person uses their knife to take some butter from the butter plate. They spread it on their piece of bread - onto where they had bitten into.   They do this 3 times. I say inwardly, "Oooh. Oh no!"


We said that, "Oooh. Oh no!" because their mouth was on the bread which they put their knife  back and forth into the common butter.


Picky. Picky.


We notice tiny things like that. The other doesn't. At least it seems that way.


That same person licks their spoon - which they then put into the jam jar for more - and they do that three or four times. 


Each time I inwardly say, "Oooh. Oh no!"


That's just at when we're eating. 


I guess I have a list of complaints.


I want my way. I expect others to do things the way I expect things to be done.


We begin to notice we're not getting our way - in the ways others drive their car.


We begin to notice that at the heart of every disagreement or fight, is his question of ways and means.


We begin the notice that at the heart of every drip, drip of anxiety, is not knowing the way things are done around here - or what's next.


We figure at the heart of all this is the question of power and control.


Down deep, we want our will  to be done.


We wish another not to be and to do they way they are and the way they do things.


We wish another would see things the way we see things.


Marriage is all about will. Marriage is a marriage of wills - wills becoming one - or at least a marriage with compromises - starting with understanding what each wants.


Is "My will be done" the basic prayer and hope of every person?


Is this the heart of the prayer to God: "Thy will be done"?

No comments: