Tuesday, August 2, 2022

 August 2,  2022

Reflection



ANNIVERSARY


Today is the 41st anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood: June 20, 1965.

Nobody said, "Happy Anniversary!"

Yet I did say that to the other guys.  All of us were ordained in June.

Nobody responded, "And with you too."

Last year - 2005 - we did celebrate our 40th anniversary as a class.  We - not all - got together at San Alfonso Retreat House, Long Branch, New Jersey - those who stayed and those who left.

Tonight I'll e-mail as many as the other guys  in the class as I have e-mail addresses.

"Happy Anniversary!"

If one is married, one can say to the other, "Happy Anniversary!"

I was thinking of those who have died: "In a way I'm like those who have lost a spouse."

What's it like for those who have left the priesthood? Is it like being divorced? Do they erase dates from their interior calendar - hanging on the wall of their minds?

I see now how I get a reaction at the time  I say at the final blessing at Mass, "May God bless all those celebrating birthdays and anniversaries on this day."

That catches a puzzled look at times.

I should do that more,

Happy Anniversary.

We never know what happened to folks this day in the past.

How many years do we have left?

To You, Lord, I want to say, "Thanks for 41 years today and for all the people we got to meet so far. Thanks. Thanks. Thanks."

That's my anniversary prayer today.

No comments: