Tuesday, August 23, 2022

 August 23, 2022

Reflection

JESUS  CHRIST


More and more the question arises for me: But what about Jesus Christ?

If he is God, there there are lots of implications.

For example I'm sitting here in a small chapel before a cross with a corpus on it. It's 100% wood.  Below the cross is a tabernacle.  Inside the tabernacle is a gold plate cup or ciborium. It has in it - 50 or some pieces of white unleavened bread. They are very white - circles - the size of quarters - and very light. They were consecrated at a Mass - with the words, "This is my body." I believe by faith that this bread is Jesus Christ in some mysterious way.

That is some act of faith.

Yet at times, I wonder: Is this true?

This brings me back or over to other questions.

Did Jesus - the Carpenter from Nazareth - rise from the dead in a different way from all people who have died?

Is there life after death?

Is Christianity, just a story? Or can Jesus be and become part of everyone's story?

Is this all faith?

I'm 67 now - and I have 3 years till 70 - if I make it.

Will I make it to 75 - then 80 - then 85 - till when I die?

Will that end me forever?

Or is there a forever for everyone?

I do believe there is.

My reason says, "There is a God!"

My faith and my Christianity brings me to the question: what is God like?

I have heard the Christian story. Do I accept it?

I do.

Yet, I pray the prayer of the man in the gospel of Mark - 9:24 - who brought his son to Jesus,  so he might be healed, "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!"



[I'm now 82 going on 83 - so I'm in a different place - compared to where I was when I was writing this when I was 67.  I now have deeper faith and stronger convictions. Day by day I'm getting closer and closer to the moment that  I call, "The Embrace." [Cf. Luke 15:21.]


No comments: