Sunday, February 8, 2015


BUMMER OF A BUS RIDE


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time is, “Bummer of A Bus Ride.”

When I read today’s first reading from the Book of Job, the thought that hit me was this: It would be a bummer of a bus ride – if one went on a trip sitting next to Job.

In today’s first reading listen to him, “Life is drudgery. Work – if you’re a hired hand, is a bummer. If that’s the story, your life is like that of a slave who wants to get out of the burning heat and sit down in the shade.”

He’s saying, “Life is months of misery. Troubled nights are a killer. I’m restless. I can’t sleep.  I have no hope in life. I’m going to die. My life is like the wind. I won’t see happiness again.”

If you ended up next to Job on a bus ride – or a plane – or in a small group – or had Job as a roommate in college, bummer.

TODAY’S READINGS

In today’s 2nd reading  Paul is telling us that his main goal in life is to help make such an unhappy camper happy by bringing Christ into that person’s life. Paul – when he was Saul -  was an unhappy camper. He didn’t like Christians. 

Then on the road to Damascus, he fell on his face and  found out he was wrong. He changed. He then spent the rest of his life trying to bring the joy and love of Christ to as many unhappy campers he met.

In today’s gospel – people are coming from everywhere to be next to Christ. It's just to opposite of being next to Job. They want to receive Christ's blessings and avoid Job's whinings. They wanted to be next to Christ - the optimist and not the pessimist.

CONCLUSION

Who would you rather be next to on a bus? Job or Christ? Choose Christ. 

When someone sees us coming down the aisle of a bus - and the seat next to them  is empty, what are they thinking when they see our face?
I

No comments: