Tuesday, July 3, 2012


   
 THE SAINT THOMAS PRAYER

Lord, my name isn’t Thomas,
which means “Twin,” but  ---  but when
I hear his story I feel like his twin,
because I’ve been through some
of the same moments he went through.

Lord, like Thomas, help me not
to hesitate to ask:  “Where are YOU?”
and how do I get to the Place called, “YOU” -
the Inner Space where You are with Your Father.
Help to me hear what You told Thomas,
“I am the Way, the Truth and the Life!”

Lord, like Thomas, sometimes
I find myself absent - out of the loop,
not in on what’s happening in upper rooms,
with what’s going on in the group,
so I end up with so many questions.

Lord, like Thomas tell me to put my hands
into your hands - tell me to put my fingers
into the cut in your side. Help me to discover
what Thomas discovered:  You are the
Risen Lord on the other side of suffering
and death and what seems like no more.

Lord, like Thomas, I have my doubts
and that’s where I really feel twined to him.
Yet like him, I have learned my lesson:
if you don’t have doubts, you won’t get
a chance to make great acts of faith,
like the real prayer of Thomas,
“My Lord, and my God.”




OOOOO ***** OOOOO


NOTES


Painting on top: The Incredulity of Saint Thomas - by Caravaggio [1601-1602]

Today is the feast of St. Thomas. Instead of a homily on St. Thomas - which I have given many - instead of an imaginary story with St. Thomas explaining his life - which I’ve done one of, this feast of St. Thomas I decided to write a prayer using the themes from the life of Thomas as noticed in the Gospels. 

No comments: