Sunday, July 1, 2012


IN THE MEANWHILE



[This is a double loop  homily.  I plan to go through the 3 readings two times.]

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time [B] is, “In The Meanwhile.”

Today’s readings stumped me.  In the meanwhile I read them over a few more times.  I said my regular prayer: “Come Holy Spirit. Give me something to say that will help someone here at Mass today.”  

In the meanwhile,  I did some research on the 3 documents.

In the meanwhile, I scratched my head and said, “Now what?”

The first reading from the Book of Wisdom 1:13-15; 2:23-24 begins with a dramatic statement: “God did not make death,…”  Do I preach on that? If you heard that statement loud and clear, did you inwardly say, “Well who did?” Or did you say, “Please explain?”

The second reading from 2 Corinthians 8:7, 9, 13-15 has Paul telling the Corinthians about equality - about redistribution of wealth - that those who are poor should get from the rich and those who are rich should be dishing out to the poor. Didn’t Christ do as much? Didn’t Christ let go of his riches and become poor just for us - so that we who are poor, can become rich in Christ? You won’t hear that message about economic equality in  Sunday morning talk shows and political debate or dare I say sermons in most churches in the United States.

The Gospel from Mark 5: 21-43 gives two stories about two women - both of whom have health problems. One is a 12 year old girl whose father comes to Jesus for help. His young daughter  is dying. The second is a woman with women’s blood problems and she reaches out in the crowd to touch Jesus to be healed. She’s healed. She’s discovered Jesus and Jesus discovered her. The little girl is also healed. Jesus tells those standing there to get her something to eat.  If there is anything I hear as priest, its right here. Why can’t Jesus heal my sick son or daughter or mom or dad or sister or brother or me? Why aren’t I healed, when I just reach out and touch Jesus to be healed? How many times have we all heard someone pray out loud, “God, why did you let this person I love, die?”

Tough readings. So that’s why I said: "Today’s readings stumped me."

IN THE MEANWHILE

In the meanwhile, I sat there with this feeling of frustration till I began thinking what one needs to do when frustrated? Answer: do something.

That’s the bottom line of my homily: In the meanwhile, do something.

If that doesn’t grab you, then I suggest in the meanwhile, read the readings again from the missalette or read the Sunday bulletin if you took one on the way in.

FIRST READING

So I re-read today’s first reading again - and then some commentaries on the text. It didn’t sound like it was coming from Hebrew thought.  It sounded Greek to me. Sure enough today’s first reading is not in the Hebrew Bible. It’s in some Greek Old  Testaments. In the research I did on this text last night, I read that this text was probably written in the Jewish community in Alexandria, Egypt - around the last half of the first century before Christ.  And the author or authors have read Greek philosophers on this very question: where did death come from? However, the scholars say even though there is Greek thought and influence here,  there are some differences in thinking. It has other Jewish scripture ideas, so the scholars  believe the Book of Wisdom is by a Jewish author or authors in the Jewish community in Alexandria.[1]

In the meanwhile,  the writer is saying that God didn’t bring death. We were created to  be immortal  and  imperishable. That word “imperishable” is the  English word used in our translation. Then the author of the first reading blames the devil and those who enter into his company - as the ones who caused death. That’s also clearly the message about how death came about. We see that in the early sections of the Book of Genesis - when Adam and Eve in the garden ate the forbidden fruit - and got expelled from the Garden.

In the meanwhile, that’s what the commentators on today’s first reading  say. That’s their take on why there is death.

What’s your take on why there is death? If you’re over 50, I’m sure you’ve thought about that from time to time.

I’m 72 and I have a different take on why there is death than the one here in the Book of Wisdom. My first reason is that we are not God. My second reason is traffic jams and doctors’ offices. If we think it is tough now, imagine all those 3 or 4 thousand year olders on the highways every day or ahead of us in the doctor’s office. What about the drain on the economy with pensions? Maybe not: those who make and sell hearing aids and wheelchairs will be loaded - and those who have auto body shops will have lots of business.  My third reason is that death makes life have a lot more meaning. Dead lines get people to get a lot done - especially,  if what we do in the meanwhile is life giving.

In the meanwhile - that’s the first reading we have for today.

SECOND READING

As to the redistribution of wealth and riches - I don’t see massive giving of necessities to the poor. [2]  In the meanwhile, thank you for your generosity to the St. Vincent de Paul Program here at St. Mary’s. Thank you.

In the meanwhile in your capacities, volunteer to tutor or visit the sick or help folks get off their butts and get a job. Help at the Lighthouse Shelter or where have you.

In the meanwhile, find a charity that is effective - that is systemic to relieve poverty - or what have you.

In the meantime, enough with the judgments on the poor - unless you’ve been in their shoes.

In the meanwhile, I better shut up. I have a vow of poverty but I’ve had a great life so far. I’ve never been in want of food or money or fun. I became a priest to be a missionary in Brazil. However,  with a vow of obedience as well - I never got there. So I’ve been stationed in mostly neat places. Yet every day, in the meanwhile, I have choices to be open or closed to the person in front of me: rich or poor.

GOSPELS

As to prayer and healing - exercise - eat smart - and get to the doctor for examinations or when sick and hopefully you aren’t going broke like the woman in today’s gospel - at the hands of the doctors of her day.

Health care? Has that been in the news lately?

Sometimes people expect the preacher in the pulpit to get into some of the issues of our day.

This person here is not going to get into the health care questions for two reasons.

First of all, it’s an election year and many comments are construed as politicking - so I will try to stay clear of this stuff till at least November 7th.

Secondly, I’m a believer that there is a time and place for talking on some specific issues - and unless people can speak up or challenge - or comment back, then the pulpit can become simply a bully pulpit.

In the meanwhile, even saying that much can upset some folks. And some people don’t come to Sunday Mass for a fight - or to be spoken at - but they come here for prayer and inspiration and reflection, etc.

CONCLUSION: IN THE MEANWHILE

In the meanwhile as I reflected upon the 3 words that became the title of my homily, “In The Meanwhile,” it hit me: that phrase has possibilities.

In the meanwhile, life is moving on - time is ticking - every day we’re a day older than the day before - and one day closer to our death.

In the meanwhile the ice cream cone decreases when licked or it melts. It has an end point - like a dinner, like a wedding, like a movie, like a life. The End is coming.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the gift of life.

In the meanwhile, if your electricity is out, come to church and then hide out in the mall - or if you have a cellar, hide there till you have your power back again.

In the meanwhile, don’t over drink or overeat ice cream or take sugar drinks or smoke or booze. They might take years off your life.

In the meanwhile,  let people reach out and touch you.

In the meanwhile, thank the people who have touched your life for the better - and forgive those who have touched your life for the worse.

In the meanwhile, while waiting or caught or stuck in the crowd of  the meanwhile’s of life, don’t be mean. [3]

Instead, reach out and touch Jesus - even if it’s just the edge of his cloak - he’ll know.





NOTES:


Painting on Top: Who Touched Me [2001], by Dinah Roe Kendall


[1] Cf. "Wisdom," by Addison G. Wright, S.S., in The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, pp. 510-514




[2] Cf. Acts of the Apostles, 4: 32 to 5:11




[3] This is a play on words. I noticed that the word, "meanwhile" has the word "mean" for starters.

















No comments: