Wednesday, July 4, 2012


AMOS 5:24

"THEN LET JUSTICE  
SURGE  LIKE WATER 
AND GOODNESS 
LIKE AN UNFAILING STREAM."



INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this Thirteenth Wednesday in Ordinary Time is, “Then Let Justice Surge Like Water and Goodness Like An Unfailing Stream.”

This is just one text - one verse - 5:24 - from the book of Amos.

BUMPER STICKER

I’ve never seen on a bumper sticker or a sign at a football game: “Amos 5:24.”

It wouldn’t be a bad text to base one’s life on - that I be a person of justice and goodness.

Most translations of English from the Hebrew use the word “justice,” but most don’t use “goodness” like our New American Bible does. Most translators use the word “righteousness” over “goodness”.

The Hebrew is just 6 words. The English translation is 12 words - twice as long.

I like the Hebrew word for “unfailing” - as in “unfailing stream”. It’s “ETHAN” or “ETAN”. Besides “unfailing,” it’s translated “endless” - “never failing” “ever flowing” “mighty”.

In a Biblical commentary I like the note about that word which I spotted last night while writing this homily. “…the seventh month, just before the early rain, was called ‘the month Ethanim [Cf. 1 Kings 8:2], that is, the month of the perennial streams, when they alone flowed. In the meaning ‘perennial,’ it would stand tacitly contrasted with ‘streams which fail or lie.’ True righteousness is not fitful, like an intermitting stream, vehement at one time, then disappearing, but continuous, unfailing.

WHAT SHOULD BE  EVER FLOWING IN EVERY PERSON?

Amos is calling all of us to be like a rolling river and like an ever flowing stream. Amos is calling each and every person to examine if justice and goodness are flowing out of us - like a river and a stream - or am I all dried up when it comes to justice and goodness.

I’ve seen dry river beds in Tucson and Phoenix as well as in the Salton Sea area or region of California - 100 miles east of San Diego.

I’ve seen the opposite - where there was lots of water. I lived on the Hudson River in upstate New York for 14 years of my life. I grew up in Brooklyn 3 blocks away from the Narrows - where the waters of the East River and the Hudson River meet and flow out to the sea. I lived for 7 years in Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania. Tobyhanna means dark river. It was only a stream in the Poconos. I lived on the Atlantic Ocean in Long Branch,New Jersey for 7 years. I also lived on Lak LaBelle in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. Oconomowoc is the Native Americans or that area word meaning “where the waters meet.” As an aside, it was on July 4th evening, there that I discovered the beauty of mid-America. Everyone was at the park listening to a band concert - followed by fireworks. 

So I get the imagery of Amos. We get it as well. When the electricity is out - when the pumps ain’t pumping water - it’s then we appreciate water. We appreciate a cold water fountain and a good shower.

I’ve backpacked in the Rockies and in White Mountains of New Hampshire, so I know steams.

I’m sure you had similar experiences of water and flowing water in your lifetime. Please God, people who experience us, experience the flow of Justice and Goodness.

The opposite is desert dryness. The opposite is the horror story in today’s gospel - where 2 men are filled with demons - who cry out for release - and Jesus lets them roam and roar out of the men and into the pigs who run down the slope and jump into the Lake of Galilee.

CONCLUSION

There’s two prayers for us today. That we be to our families and coworkers  a delicious ongoing - ever flowing river and stream of delicious water and we not be filled with demons. Amen.











No comments: