Sunday, June 5, 2011

UPGRADE



INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this feast of the Ascension is, “Upgrade!”

I was talking with someone the other day and they used the word, “upgrade” – in the context of having to make a decision whether to move towards getting a bigger house.

I don’t remember ever using the word “upgrade” or thinking about it in any context. Then I thought: “I guess I’d use the word “better” or “bigger” or “newer”.

Then the feast of the Ascension comes along and I have to come up with a homily for it. Then came the question: “Could I use the word ‘upgrade’ when talking about the Ascension?

THE FEAST OF THE ASCENSION

I remember reading some 50 years ago or so that the Church and its theologians have to do a lot of work on the theology of the Ascension.

They didn’t use the word “upgrade” but I assume that’s what was being called for.

Every year when this feast of the Ascension comes around, I remember that comment. Every year I remember with guilt I haven't updated myself on this message. It’s an interesting comment – being that the Church has been around for quite a while – heading towards being in existence for 2000 years – in this 21st century.

For starters we believe that God sent his Son into this world, into our lives, so that we could rise to a better way of doing life in this life – ascending to more faith, more hope, more charity.

Next we believe that Jesus Christ was crucified,  died, rose from the dead and then appeared in mysterious ways right after his resurrection, and then 40 days later, ascended into heaven – with the promise of a life after this life for us.

But before Jesus ascended into heaven, he told his disciples to go into the whole world and make disciples of everyone. Jesus said he’d be with us all days – even to the end of the age as we heard in today's gospel.  He also said he would send us the Holy Spirit as we heard loud and clear in today's first reading – to help us in this life – and then help lead us to the next life.

HERE AND HEREAFTER

For the sake of understanding, go figuring, and grasping these big leaps, I would assume that we would think about two states when reflecting on religion and life: the here and the hereafter.

People know there is a here and some believe in a hereafter as well; others just accept there is a here and now – and that’s all there is.

Some people think about one more than the other.

Is it a question of age? The younger think about future life – but here on earth; the ancients among us think about future life – our declining years here and some make jokes about the Golden Years not being so Golden and then there are thoughts about life on the other side of death. Is there a next life?

Is it a question of upbringing and / or faith?

Is it a question of attitude and outlook – optimists and pessimists?

Is it a question of experiences? Translation: if a person has seen a lot of death going on all around him or her, would they be more apt to think a lot about the hereafter more than the here? What’s going on in the minds of those in Syria or Libya or Afghanistan – with the possibility of death around the corner? What’s going on in the minds of those in nursing homes or those who work in funeral homes? What’s going on in the minds of those on treadmills in gyms? What’s going on in the minds of joggers when someone mentions someone age 47 died while running just last week – and his doctor just gave him a good bill of health?

UPGRADE

I was thinking: do we need an upgrade on our thinking about all this?

Can we ascend to a new level?

I have three master’s degrees in theology, but I don’t consider myself a theologian. In fact, there is a big meeting of the largest professional group of Catholic theologians in the world – the CTSA – the Catholic Theological Society of America – meeting at Fairmont Hotel in San Jose, California – this week – June 9 to the 12th. It’s their 66th Annual Meeting and I wasn’t invited. No problem: I’m not a theologian – nor did I pay any dues. But I will check the Catholic papers and magazines to see what happened at the convention.

The theme this year is, “All The Saints.” And one presentation is entitled, “I Want to Be in That Number: Desire, Inclusivity, and the Church” by Paul Lakeland of Fairfield University. Connecticut.

That’s a obvious reference to the song, “I Want to Be in Their Number – when the Saints come marching in” – a song which however, refers to the hereafter – and it looks like the talk will be on the here and now Church – but I don’t know. I haven’t heard or read the talk.

Looking at the titles of the talks and presentations – the arena seems to be more the here than the hereafter.

So if I want to do an upgrade on thoughts about the hereafter, I’d have to look elsewhere - other than attending a convention - even though I've found conventions and conferences great ways for updating or upgrading oneself. There I used the word.

PREPARATION FOR DEATH

Redemtorists were known for bringing up the question of death - and the hereafter -  in their preaching - especially in parish missiions.

We priests here at St. Mary’s are Redemptorists. Our founder wrote over 100 books and one book is entitled, “Preparation for Death.” It has been found on the bedroom lamp table and desks of lots of people – for example, Kierkegaard – the famous Danish theologian – and existentialist philosopher – 1813-1855 – author of such books as Fear and Trembling and The Concept of Anxiety.

I believe St. Alphonsus wrote it after 60. I’ll have to check that out – when I have time.

Would most readers of his book with that title of Preparation for Death be over 60?

I always love the story about W.C. Fields. Someone spotted him paging through a Bible – when he was up there in age – and they said, “W.C. I didn’t know you were a Bible reader.” He answered, “I’m not, but I’m just looking for loopholes – just looking for loopholes.”

Two Redemptorist priests, who were brothers, Maurice and Louis Beque, wrote a whole book on the Last Things. It was entitled, Life after Death. It was written for the Twentieth Century Encyclopedia of Catholicism –1960 - Hawthorn Books. I read it when I was young and don’t remember a sentence or a thought from it – other than it had lots of examples from literature.

Another Redemptorist, Father Francis Xavier Durwell, wrote a classic book on The Resurrection – which came out in around 1960. It had a big impact on theology in the Western Catholic Church. Unlike the Eastern Churches, it seems that Easter was downplayed and Good Friday was up played. Obviously, it’s both – and then some.

Being 71, in my lifetime, I saw the dramatic changes in the end of Holy Week. As kids we celebrated Easter on Easter Sunday. There were flowers and Easter Bonnets and Easter candy - especially chocolate bunnies. However, the Easter celebration had creeped forward into Saturday morning, etc. – so with the changes in the Liturgy with Vatican II,  it was moved to the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday evening as well as Easter Sunday morning.

Getting long winded here – with too many sidebars.... I’m just trying to pull together some thoughts and questions in my mind for a homily on this feast of the Ascension – and to be honest, this sounds very impractical to me. I just hope there are some minds here that like some informational questions – and they will pursue them.

The bottom line  question for this line of thought would be: Where are you? Do you tend to think about the here and now or do you think about death and the hereafter? In the meanwhile, how about a convention of our best theologians considering the theological implications of the Ascension?

CONCLUSION

So in the meanwhile,  thinking about the theme of “Upgrade” – where am I with the here and hereafter questions: “What about my life?” and “What about my death?” "Do I need to do some upgrading in prayer and reflection on both?"

Thinking about the here and now, am I also into “upgrade” of things? Do I tend to want the latest everything. Of course this  helps the economy. How about an “upgrade” in the quality of my everyday life – how I work, how I relate to family, how I am a Christian in everyday life?

Thinking about the hereafter, do I need an “Upgrade” – with regards thoughts and prayers about eternity? What’s the next step, the next ascension, for me? Is there anything recommended to read?

I don't have a specific book to recommend when it comes the theology of the ascension. I do see a need for me to do some homework upgrade on this,

In the meanwhile, I would suggest reading and reflecting upon the great hereafter texts of the Bible – especially the scary ones: the scary stories of Dives and Lazarus in Luke 16 and the last judgment in Matthew 25 – the separation of the sheep and the goats – as well as the story of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10. They will  scare us into awareness of those in need and action  to help them.

If you feel really guilty when it comes to not helping others and time is running out, read Luke 15 in case you feel the need for  hope and forgiveness. That chapter has  3 parables there of the Lost Coin, Lost Sheep and Lost Son – all of whom are rescued.

Now that was a big upgrade. Amen.

One Sunday morning while driving somewhere I was listening to some minister talking about people making their wills – what they are leaving to this person and that person, but does anyone write out their legacy. Who they were? What they learned? What they were trying to do? What they wanted to pass down? What they hope for after they die – in their lives and the ones they have left behind?

No comments: