Tuesday, June 7, 2011


A MAN ON A MISSION

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 7th Tuesday after Easter  is, “A Man On A Mission.”

That’s the theme that hit me when I noticed a line in today’s first reading. I never noticed it before.

The first reading begins with Paul in Miletus. He had left Ephesus and traveled there by ship. Then he sent for the presbyters of the Church at Ephesus and said to them what he was trying to do. He said that he didn’t shrink from doing his job of preaching and witnessing. Then he finishes his comments with these words: “But now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem.”

Acts had said about a minute earlier that he wanted to get to Jerusalem for the feast of Pentecost. [Cf. Acts of the Apostles 20: 16]

I use The Jerusalem Bible a lot – because I found that it has more cross references than any other translation of the Bible. We were taught that the original Bible texts didn’t have numbered chapters and verses. They only came later on. Scripture writers referred to other texts by using similar words and texts from other places in the Bible to show the listener a connection they wanted to make. The Jerusalem Bible points out lots of these connections.

So when I read this text in Acts 20:22, when Paul says he’s heading for Jerusalem, I realized it sounds so much like the text in Luke 9:51 – when Jesus changed his tune and said, “We’re heading for Jerusalem.” That was an “aha” – and Luke wrote both Acts and Luke.

Jesus went there to face his critics – even if it meant death.

Paul went there to face his critics – even if it meant death.

Both were men on a mission.

Surprise Acts 20:22 in The Jerusalem Bible doesn’t put “Luke 9:51” off to the side of the text. So the odds are: I’m wrong.

HOWEVER, THIS RAISED A QUESTION FOR ME

However, even if I’m wrong, it raised for me this question of being on a mission.

Looking at one’s life, do I remember any moments when I was on a mission – moments when nothing could stop me – moments when others said, “Get out of her way – or his way?”

I’ve heard wives say of husbands, “When he’s hungry, he’s a man on a mission. He doesn’t look up. He doesn’t say anything. He’s at his plate and he’s there to eat.”

So here’s some homework: What would be 5 or 10 moments in my life when I was on a mission?

I think that’s a good question. I think that’s good memory harvesting or homework.

The first moment that comes to mind for me was in the seminary when a professor failed me. He gave me a 69 and I was angry. He was being unfair in the questions he gave on the test. It was maybe one of the 3 or 4 times in my life I was angry. I stormed down the corridor in the seminary and went to his room. I knocked on his door and went in for a fight. I lost. Looking back I still think he was wrong. He’s dead. So now he knows he was dead wrong. Smile.

The second experience that put me on a mission was when I played for the Bay Ridge Robbins in baseball. Walter, the manager, put his younger brother in to play first base for every game, for every inning, for the whole season – except for one out. Except for that one out, I sat on the bench. I didn’t realize this till last night when I was putting together this homily, that experience gave me a lifetime mission. All my life I find myself at every game I watch on TV, thinking, coaches and managers ought to put players on the bench into the game – whenever possible. So I sit there thinking coaches and managers are stupid when they are ahead by 30 points or behind by 30 points or runs or what have you and they don’t put in substitutes.

Paul when he was Saul was on a mission to arrest and kill Christians. Saul when he became Paul was on a mission to proclaim Christ – or as he says in this first reading, “I did not shrink from proclaiming to you the entire plan of God.”

Obviously, Paul was one of those persons we’d label: someone who was a mover and a shaker and everyone knew when he came into a room or city.

NOW

Now, where do I go with this? What can I learn from all this? What observations can I make about all this?

This is a weekday homily – and I aim for 2 pages – 14 pica – 3 minutes – and right now I’m on page 3. People have to get to work.

A FEW CONCLUSIONS

A person should be aware of his or her passions – drives – when he or she is on a mission.

A person should step back and do a reality check on one’s missions and “off on’s”. Have I checked it out with anyone? Maybe I’m barking at the wrong tree. Maybe I’m hurting others with my behavior or mannerism.

As I thought about all this, I realize that religion is one of those areas where people can really be on a mission. If we don’t like what they are off on, they are the ones we whisper about and run from.

I know of a father who demands book reports from his two daughters and 1 son all summer – as well as being on their case big time all year long with regards hitting the books. Everyone who knows him – especially his wife – talk about his unreasonableness at times.

Looking at this from reverse, maybe there are some things I ought to be on a mission with.

Do I give up or give in too quickly?

Have I gotten lazy or lackadaisical – especially regards my discoveries what God is calling me to do with my time and talents and life?

Have I given up on my passions and dreams?

What’s my Jerusalem – that place, that state, that situation where God is calling me to set my sails for?

No comments: