Monday, June 6, 2011

PICK  ONE


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 7th Monday after Easter is, “Pick One!”

Right now it’s 12:15 lunch time and people are standing on line at McDonald’s, Burger King, Subway and Wendy’s. The menu is up there on the wall above the front counter and cash registers. They have pictures and numbers for the pickings and the possibilities. People are inwardly thinking of the people in front of them at the counter: “Pick One! Pick a number. Get moving. This is a fast food line. I gotta get back to work. Hurry!”

The title of my homily is, “Pick One!”

PENTECOST

Next Sunday is Pentecost. The old tradition is to prepare for Pentecost this week by praying to the Holy Spirit during these 9 days leading up to the great feast of Pentecost. Pray to the Holy Spirit for the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

In the scriptures and in our catechisms there are lists – numbers of gifts of the Holy Spirit. For example, 7. There are fruits of the Holy Spirit, for example 12.

My suggestion: Pick One – just one!

Pray for one gift of the Spirit – pick one fruit off the tree of the Spirit and pray for it.

Do you need patience, pray for it? Do you need courage? Pray for it. Do you need fortitude? Pray for it.

What do you need?

THE JESUIT METHOD

The Jesuit method is to name the grace you want. Be specific. Be clear. Then ask in prayer with the hope that you will receive. Knock on God’s door and it will be opened to you.

The Church has been around for the long time, so we have the gifts of lists of gifts to pray for.

The tradition 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit which can be found in Isaiah 11: 1-2 are, wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety and fear of the Lord. [Cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church, #1831.

The 12 fruits of the Holy Spirit can be found in Galatians 5: 22-23: “charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, chastity.” That’s how are listed in the Catechism of the Catholic Church # 1832 – from one translation of that text from Paul.

Everyone who has taught CCD or religion to kids – especially in preparation for Confirmation are very grateful for such lists.

I’m suggesting here, “Pick One!”

UNDERSTANDING

The one I pick is understanding.

That’s the one gift I’d love to have more of – understanding others.

I love the story of Solomon in First Kings, Chapter 3. He has a dream and God says to him, “Ask what you would like from me and I will give it to you?”

And Solomon asks for an understanding heart. [Verse 3:9] He figures that’s the key gift he’ll need as leader and king of his people.

And God says, “Because you didn’t ask for a long life or riches or the lives of your enemies, I will give you a wise heart – as well as riches – and glory as no other king ever had.

Well, we’ve all heard of the wisdom of Solomon. That’s the background story for his wisdom. Check it out.

Pick understanding.

I don’t know about you, but I scratch my head when it comes to trying to understand what makes others tick – why they do what they do.

We’ve all heard a dozen times the quote from Atticus Finch in the movie, To Kill a Mockingbird, where Atticus says to Scout, “If you just learn a single trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

It’s the same message as the Native American sayings,  “Never criticize a person until you’ve walked a mile in their moccasins.” Or there is also the similar saying,  “Don’t judge anyone till you’ve walked two moons in their moccasins.”

I like to add that Jesus walked many miles in our sins.

I also like the saying in the Talmud, “Teach thy tongue to say, ‘I do not know.’”

I don’t know. I don’t understand. I misunderstand others. I haven’t walked in their steps. Their story is different than my story. I don’t understand their sins – so why do I want to throw rocks at times?

The first step is to listen – to observe – to watch.

The next step or a simultaneous step is to pray for the gift of understanding.

CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is, “Pick One!”

During this time of preparation and prayer for the feast of Pentecost, pick one gift of the Spirit that you need.

Pray for it – then work receiving it and putting it into practice and action. Amen.

No comments: