Wednesday, August 8, 2007

PERSONALITY TEST # 2

This is a personality test based on 5 parables from the Gospel of Luke - the main gospel we are using this liturgical year (2007).

1) In the Parable of Good Samaritan [Luke 10: 29-37], who am I most like and least like?
A) The Beaten Up Man: I’m hurting and feel so alone along the road of life – a victim whom others beat up.


B) The Levite and the Priest: I’m the type of person who looks the other way and stays on my side of the road. I ignore those beaten up in life. I don't like to get involved.


C) The Good Samaritan: I would stop to help my brother and sister if they were beaten up by robbers. I get involved – even though it’s going to cost me time and money – even though the other person is of a different religion and background than mine.

2) In the Parable of the Prodigal Son [Luke 15: 11-32], who am I most like and least like?

A) The Father: I’ll forgive no matter what. Every family has problems. Young people make mistakes. Okay - his room might end up looking like a pig pen again - but it will be better than the pig pen he was in. And if my older son doesn't like it, I'll reach out to him too. I'll wait and wait till he decides to come home from his far country. I'll wait for him to come home from his far country and throw him a party he'll never forget - and I guarantee his younger brother will be the second to welcome him home.


B) The Prodigal Son: I messed up. I’ll come back. I'm scared. I'm not worthy to be a member of my family after what I have done. I ask for forgiveness - of my dad and my older brother.


C) The Older Brother: In this case, I don’t think forgiveness is fair – so I won’t forgive. And why should my father give him a party – when he has never given me anything? Not fair.

3) In the Parable of the Practical Judge and the Nagging Widow (Luke 18: 1-8), who am I more like?

A) The Nagging Widow: I keep pestering this judge till I get justice and a settlement in my favor. I keep trying till I get what I think is right. I don’t give up. I won’t hear “No!” for an answer. Fair is fair. Nagging works!


B) The Judge: I give in just to get rid of this woman. I don’t weigh the issues of right or wrong that deeply. I won’t call in her enemy to get his or her side of the story. I won’t ask her to be on Court TV. I just want to get this settled and give this woman her just rights – otherwise she is going to wear me out.

4) In the Parable of Pharisee and the Publican (Luke 18:9-14), who am I most like?

A) The Pharisee: I am the type of person who prays in public and feel good about myself because I pray and fast and tithe. When I prayer I tell God about those who don’t come to church. I talk about those who are greedy and unjust or who commit adultery. I tell him I don't want to be in communion with that sinner who is sitting in the back of church . “What’s he doing here! Why do they allow people like him in here?”


B) The Publican: I am a poor sinner who stays and prays in the back of church. I don't know if I should even be in here with all the things I have done in my life. "Lord, be merciful to me a sinner.”

5) In the Parable of Ten Men and Ten Pounds (Luke 19:11-27), ten men are given a pound to invest while a rich man goes away. When he comes back three men report how they invested the pounds while the rich man was away. Which of the three am I most like?

A) The Ten Pounder: I am the type of person who uses the gifts I have to make the most with them. If someone gives me $1,000 to invest, I'll try to make $10,ooo with it. Because he was shrewd with the rich man’s money he was put in charge of ten cities.


B) The Five Pounder: I too am the type of person who uses the gifts I have to make the most with what I have. I'm not as sharp as others, but I'll take the necessary risks - after a lot of study. Because he was sharp with the one pound he was given - making five pounds with it, he was put in charge of five cities.


C) The One Pounder: I'm the safe type. I don't want to have to come back and say I lost money by making a poor investment. So at least I can report that I have what I started with and didn't lose it. I'm scared. When the rich man heard this man's report he was furious. He pounced on him verbally and took the pound back. Then he gave it to the man who had stretched the one pound to ten. The bystanders said, “The first man already made ten pounds.” And the rich man said, “Everyone who has will be given more; everyone who has not, even what he has will be taken away from him.”


© Andrew Costello

No comments: