Monday, November 7, 2022

November 7, 2033


Reflections



CLOSING  DOORS


Isn't it interesting what we remember?


I used to listen to tapes of talks by Thomas Merton - on spiritualty.


He once said in a talk somewhere, "If I had to my novice master job all over again, one of the main things I would talk about would be, 'Think of others when you're closing doors.'"


It's funny - if my window is open - and I close my door - sometimes it's much louder.  When that happens, it hits me, "Now you can't complain about door slammers."


I just finished reading a book on Peter Jennings - the TV news commentator.


One of the things that hit a lot of people about him was his concern, his care, his appreciation of all people - the little guy as well as the big guy. He was well aware of all people - especially people who don't get the attention.


Has the sensitive person had a door closed in their face? Has the over-sensitive person - every stood there on the other side of a closed door - and said, "I'll never do that to anyone else. I don't like what just happened to me"?


Is the Golden Rule part of the natural law?


Is the Golden Rule built into every human being?


Is it true that what goes around comes around?


Does every human being go to the school of possible learnings - all from everyday experiences?


We are talking to someone outside a closed door and we hear, "Shush!"


Someone is trying to sleep and we just woke them up.


Is a "Shush"  better than any sermon we'll ever hear?


Should we be getting college degrees from those kinds of moments?




 

No comments: