Friday, November 11, 2022

November 11, 2022


Reflection 





WHEN  YOU  CAUGHT  ME


I have to watch the movie,  "As Good As It Gets" again - so I can here, remember and then memorize the lines of one scene - or maybe it was two scenes.


Holly Hunter says something like, "You caught me when ...."


Jack Nicholson then puts his foot in his mouth in his response to what she says and loses Holly.


She said something like, "You should have stopped there."


That reminded me of the times I found myself saying about someone else,  “You lost me when ….”

 

I remember a church service, when a visiting deacon had the crowd sit down for the gospel reading.


So I sat down as he read the gospel. 


Then something off to my left caught my eye. A father and a son remained standing.  His wife and daughters were sitting.


I didn't know what was going on. Sometimes when there is a long gospel reading, folks are told they can sit during the reading. 


Is that what was going on?  Was it a rule's keeping situation?

 

Did that couple have a fight in their car on the way home because of this?  


I don't know.

 

The man didn’t look happy.  I've rarely seen him smile.  He has smiled. I’ve seen it.  But most of the time he does not seem happy.

 

He lost me when he remained standing.

 

Could he catch me if he gave me a different take  on why he was doing what he was doing?


In the meanwhile was I sitting there with my juridical robes on? 


I have memorized the words from the Talmud: "Teach thy tongue to say, 'I do not know.'"


I know those words, but I don't always practice them.

 

When people are dating, do they spend the time judging each other?  Would they know this if they were asked this - if they did this?

 

In the movie, Jack Nicholson recovers - or Holly Hunter gets to understands him.


Is this something we all do?  Do we do this to ourselves - giving outsiders a judgement?  Does God do this?  Do we do this with God?

No comments: