Tuesday, November 8, 2022

 November 8,  2022


Reflection



OPEN  AND  CLOSED  MINDS


I have read an article or two on open and closed minds.


What about my mind - if I sit back - and read myself?


Uh oh!


I would assume that  I have an open mind and anyone I don't like has a closed mind.


I would assume that fundamentalists and literalists have closed minds.


I would assume I'm neither.


Uh oh!


I would assume that having an open mind is better - than having a closed mind - but who is the judge and jury?


I would assume there is a lot of, "It all depends" - when it comes to open and closed minds.


I would assume that I have my mind made up on some things. I prefer meat to fish - hot dogs to spinach - spring and autumn to hot summer and cold snowy winter.


I think the Jewish and Christian scriptures are better than the Koran.   I think they are wrong with their teachings that push burning others offensive and dangerous.  I've seen beheadings on YouTube.


Yet I read the Koran and don't remember seeing texts like that - but I have seen texts about God wiping out others in the Bible.


I assume that some members in my congregation are off the charts.  The demons that they are fighting are in them and I don't have to go there.


I assume that I have to open up my mind to what others are saying - and where they are coming from.


I assume that I need to listen to others and try to understand them - and maybe discover more about them and myself.


I assume that I have to discover when and where I have been closed minded.


I assume that I have to learn how to laugh and to cry about myself.


Uh oh!




No comments: