Monday, August 8, 2022

 August 8, 2022

Reflection



THEME


Do you have  a theme?

Does everyone have a central issue they are off on?

Someone was describing Father Ted the other day - and they were saying something like, "He always stressed forgiveness - in his sermons - in the words of the Mass - in his off to the side remarks - in off to the side situations."

Being self-centered I wondered  if I'm easy to figure out. I also wondered if a person could't know themselves - only others.

Yesterday I had ___ in for spiritual direction and it seems that forgiveness is central to her - touching her eye ducts - touching her relationships.

So forgiveness is a central theme in some people's lives  - according to others.

So the question: do I have a central theme?

My book, Prayers in the Night, has lots of prayers in it that seem to be too gnarly and a bit too itchy.  I got that thought as I looked at my book of night prayers the other day.

And someone reviewing my book, Cries But Silent .... said my short pieces in there were too dark or problematic or something like that. I never did save that review - and there weren't too many. 

Peter Kreeft seemed to see life as a battle - and I've noticed that feeling in some conservatives.

So once more the question: Are we all off on some issue - some more than others?

I guess  Groeschel's off-handed remark should be talked about. "Tell me your favorite scripture text and I'll tell you who you are?"

On a weekend retreat right after I heard that, a guy was being abrasive, so I asked him his favorite Bible text. His quick answer: "Beware of wolves in sheep clothing."

So do I have a favorite theme?

I don't know. 

I guess they'll tell mine - what I was off on - if and when they talk about me in the funeral parlor.




No comments: