Friday, August 12, 2022

August 12, 2022


Reflection 



OUCH!


My niece and Godchild, Patty, says, "Ouch" when someone says something that is insensitive or when they put their foot in their mouth.

The first time I heard her do this, I sort of heard it, but I really didn't catch it.

The second time I heard her say, her "Ouch!" - I sort of got it - but I needed to process it.

The third time I heard her say, "Ouch!" - I got it.

Now when I hear someone say something "Stupid!" from the pulpit or while eating together or in a conversation, I find myself saying, "Ouch!"

Two nights ago I was watching a re-run of the movie, As Good As It Gets. Melvin, played by Jack Nicholson, got an "Ouch!" out of me about 8 times.

He goes to a restaurant with Carol Connelly - played by Helen Hunt. She's wearing a red dress. He's wearing a blue shirt - no tie, no jacket.  The maitre de says to Melvin, "You need a tie and jacket in this restaurant." Then he adds to Melvin, "No  problem. We have lots of them in a closet here for this situation."

He gets Melvin a tie and a jacket.

Knowing Melvin's personality Carol asks, "It was surely dry cleaned?" 

The maitre de answers, "Probably not!"

Melvin says to Carol, "Stay here. I'll be right back."

He goes across the street to a store  and buys a new jacket and tie,

About to sit down Melvin says, "I don't get it. They make the guy wear a suit jacket and a tie and they let you in with a house dress."

He said something like that and I heard Carol say with her face, "Ouch!"

That did it. She walked out of the restaurant.

Life has lots of situations - that cause many an Ouch!"

We need to learn from our insensitive comments. When hurt we need to forgive and find the right moment to let the other hear our "Ouch!"


No comments: