Tuesday, August 9, 2022

August 9, 2022

Reflection



FRAGILITY


The little guy was only 16 ounces - born August 8, 2006 - died August 8, 2006

The hospital called - a nurse named Marie - in NICU - told me this little baby wasn't going to make it. The parents would like a priest to hurry over to the hospital and baptize this baby.

I got there around 7:15 PM.

I baptized him - Brandon Robert Fox.

Then they photographed him.   They took lots of photos - to help the parents remember him - his birth - his existence - his reality.

Then they unplugged him. Four people confirmed that he died at 7:36 PM - around that time.

Then they wrapped him in a blue blanket. Five of us went to his parent's room.

They held him. They hugged him. They felt him.

More photos were taken - of a child - who lived only  a few moments of life.

Rock and roses ....

Fragility and permanence ....

When I stood there at the hospital - stood there in the presence of this premature baby - I watched the nurses unhook this baby from the life support tubes and machines. They kept it on till I got there.  I watched a nurse take a stethoscope and put it on the baby's chest - which was just a tiny bit bigger than the listening part of the stethoscope.  

Then I turned.

A doll was behind me. A big beautiful doll. Then it moved. It was another baby - alive and kicking - in this same room for some reason.

Life and death ....

When I got the call from the hospital I was just finishing up the papers for a couple wanting to get married - both 57 years of age.

At 4:10 AM - I got a call to get back to the hospital - a woman 55 years of age had just died.

Fragility.

No comments: