Monday, August 15, 2022

 August 15,  2022


Reflection





THE ALTAR


By turning the Mass around, by turning the priest around, by turning the altar around, the altar becomes much more prominent.

Yet, it has taken me time - standing there - to understand its mystery and its moments.

Where does one begin?

I don't know.

Was it smoke rising upwards - when we humans were burning sacrifices - to The Power Behind Everything? 

Was it place?

Did certain places have the grab? Were humans looking for the perfect pace or a good place to sacrifice an animal - to let go - and let GOD do God stuff for them. If they made the sacrifice on stones, did those stones become the same place  to take and eat the meat of sacrifice in communion?

Did the place where all this takes place become sacred? Or did folks keep searching for the "right" place for all this to take place?

I would think stones - rocks - were the first altars - and the only altar. Somehow stone does it.

When did wood enter into the mix, like when the Christian Last Supper was celebrated on wood? Was it at a table?

As a kid, as an altar boy, I heard the Latin sentence and I understood it at the time,

"Introibo ad altare Dei,  ad Deum qui laetificat juventutum mei." 

"I will go to the altar of God, to the God, who gives joy to my youth,"

I hope and pray at 66  and 66 plus - when l return to the altar of God - I will return with the joy of my youth. 

In the meanwhile calls for sacrifices are made.

Joy is an after taste.

Joy is a result.

Joy is the echo of God within us - as someone said.

So I do feel joy as I come to the altar each day - the joy of  my youth.

I knew as a kid, I unconsciously did not want to be a grouchy old man.

I'm not.

I celebrate with joy at the altar each day - and I hope that joy like smoke will always rise up to You, O Lord.

No comments: