Sunday, August 14, 2022

August 14, 2022



Reflection

THE PAUSE THAT IMPRESSES


Coca Cola or Pepsi or some beverage had an ad that stressed, "The pause that refreshes...."

Take a break - a Coke or a tea or coffee break ....

Stop at the water fountain and get refreshed....

I don't pause enough as priest when I celebrate Mass....

I know - when I don't have an altar server - I like to pause before climbing the steps - before entering the sanctuary.

I don't know if anyone notices that pause. I do.

I like to stop before entering the sacred sanctuary - the sacred space - hence the steps - hence the altar - hence the pause.

I like to pause for a moment at a wedding ceremony - just before the couple pronounce their vows to each other. I ask the bride and groom to pause and pray for all of us - married and single - as we pray with and for them.

Pauses can impress.

The public speaker who pauses - should pause - realizing she or he's in the presence of people - sacred people.

The pause before the curtain opens in a play - after the lights have gone down  - when the crowd becomes silent - is a tell. The actors  take a deep breath.  Everyone knows the moment: "Let the play begin."

Pause.

I don't pause enough.

Maybe God is pausing - and only speaks - after a long pause.

"And the word became flesh and is dwelling among us."

Implications ....  Sound .... Pause .... Listen ....

No comments: