Wednesday, July 27, 2022

July 26, 2022



Reflection

AT HOME AND AT WAR:

MILITARY  MARRIAGES


I was listening to National Public Radio while driving home yesterday.

Someone was giving a report on the impact of the way in Iraq on a community in Kentucky.

Tomorrow they said they would talk about the war's impact on local business.

But today they talked on the impact of war on marriage.

How many feel, "Is it worth it to come home - get romantic - only to have to leave and head back to war again?"

How many feel, "Is it worth it to go through all the fears I felt when I wondered if you 'd make it home again - or whether you'd be killed and I'd be all alone. I didn't like it standing there waving goodbye the last time - knowing this might be the last time I'd ever see you?"

How many feel, "Is it worth it, to be the equivalent of being a single mom or dad with you gone away again?"

How many feel. "Is it worth it to have to deal with a different person each time you come home?"

How many say, "Is it worth it to be in a foreign country - driving down roads that might explode at the next curve?"

How many think about their kids? What about not having them there  - to drive them to the game - or the doctor - or to McDonalds?

What about the loneliness in the alone?

When will this end? Will I come home with the news I might be deployed again - and soon?

What do I do with mixed and twisted emotions - to be here and feel needed here - while at the same time I wish I was there - because I'm needed there as well?

Home front - or war front?

No comments: