Tuesday, March 29, 2022

 March 29, 2022



THE WAR
 

Watched a movie video this evening with Denis.  It was his day off and he rented it. Never heard of it: “The War.”
 
It was about a guy – Stephen Simmons - coming home from “The War” and then a mental hospital – because of “The War” and how his life impacts the lives of his wife and two kids.
 
The only actor in the movie whom I ever heard of was Kevin Costner. He played his regular part: the caring, the understanding, the struggling person.
 
For me, the key line in the movie, and I also think the whole plot of the movie, was this: Kevin Costner says to his wife in a moment of struggle, “My dad used to say, ‘Nothing you’re going to do in this life is going to make a difference.”
 
That hit me right in my mind. I got up and found a piece of paper – a napkin – and jotted it down.
 
I want to make a difference – but I won’t change the world.  It’s a pretty big place.
 
Is that what his father meant?
 
Yet I hope I am making a difference in the lives of the people I know, love and serve.
 
Then the movie proved that our lives make a difference in the lives of those we meet.
 
In Vietnam, Kevin tried to save the life of a buddy – but he didn’t. He tried carrying him on his shoulders to the safety of a helicopter – but he had to leave him there on the ground and fly away.
 
That became his nightmare – but he also had a dream: to make a difference – and he did.
 
I’ll have to look at that movie again – on some day off.
 

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2022


No comments: