Sunday, March 27, 2022

March 27, 2022




TECHNICOLOR
 
 
How do you see life?   In black and white or in technicolor?
 
How do you dream? In black and white or in technicolor?
 
I’ve heard people say that they dream in black and white.  I didn’t believe them – because I assume dreams are scenes from everyday life – much of the time – jumbled up – but based on real life – and real life is in technicolor.
 
Movies have been in black and white – and television programs – and you can still catch them that way.
 
Then there’s the comment that some movies have been ruined – because they have been colorized.
 
One day my nephew Michael said something that really surprised me.  He died back in 1977 – so I don’t remember if they had a color TV at the time or not.  
 
I had taken him and his brother and one sister at the time to the movies.
 
The movie was Popi.
 
We got home and at supper his dad asked, “Well, how did you like the movie”?
 
Michael said something that intrigued me. He said, “The movie began in black and white and then switched to technicolor.”
 
I didn’t notice that as I watched that movie with them that afternoon.
 
Afterwards I checked it out. The whole movie was in color.
 
I asked myself, “What got a small kid to say, ‘The movie  began in black and white and then switched to color.”
 
So I asked Michael, “When did it switch to color?”
 
He answered, “When they left  Spanish Harlem and moved to Florida.”
 
How do you see life: in black and white or in technicolor?
 

 

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2022

 

 


No comments: