Friday, February 4, 2022

 February  4,  2020




ANNE MARIE
 
She was tiny.
 
She was cautious.
 
She was hesitant to open her door to me.  I tried to let her know by phone that I was going to visit her.
 
She finally opened the porch door. I had rung the door bell two times.
 
I was about to give up – but I said to myself, “Hey,  it was a long walk to get here.”
 
She was born in Belgium.  She came to the United States with her husband in 1951.  She saw two wars.  She was born July 28, 1903.
 
Her first husband was a Dutchman.
 
She had a heavy accent: French, Flemish and Dutch.  She knew some German.
 
Her daughter had married a U.S. Military guy and that’s what brought them here.  Everyone wants to see their grandkids.
 
Most of the people I met here in Dayton had 7, 4, 5 kids.
 
There were 2 beds in the living room – close enough for them to reach out and hold hands in the night if they wanted.
 
The bathroom was upstairs.
 
“I go up the stairs each morning. I take my time. I say to Jesus and Mary, “I need your help and they help me.”
 
Faith was everywhere. I spotted an OLPH picture, an infant of Prague, an Immaculate Heart of Mary Statue, and 2 pairs of rosaries.
 
Family pictures were also everywhere. Her daughter had 4 kids and they all had kids and on and on and on.
 
Furniture from Belgium was everywhere.  I asked.
 
I’m glad I waited after the second ring.
 

                            © Andy Costello, Reflections 2022


No comments: