Tuesday, February 1, 2022

February 1, 2022

 


 

SELF-PORTRAIT
 
 
Don’t we all wonder at times what they think of us?
 
I know – knowing one person loves me – does an awful lot for less worry about how I am – how I come across.
 
Yet, I can be talking with 15 people at a party and one person says in a fiftienth  of a second, “You look like Spencer Tracy.  Did anyone ever tell you that?”
 
“No,” I answered.
 
Then I jokingly add, “Doctor Kevorkian yes. And the coroner of Honesdale, PA. Yes.  Spencer Tracy. No.”
 
And I meet 15 more people – and 15 days after that – and 15 more life experiences after that – and that one comment sticks about Spencer Tracy.
 
Spencer Tracy? No I don’t look like him.
 
Why?  Why does that comment stick to the inside of my eye lids and I keep looking at it?
 
I know from experience that people always go ga ga over self-tests – that help us know something about ourselves.
 
Why?
 
Is it that I’m always wondering how I’m coming across.
 
Then I read a quote by Groucho Marx, “She’s afraid that if she leaves, she’’ become the life of the party.”
 
Then I remember that’s so like the saying of Oscar Wilde I’ve used in a dozen talks, “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others cause happiness whenever they go.”
 
Uh oh!
 
I guess I’m still not sure of myself.
 
Who cares?
 
I do.
 

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2022



No comments: