Friday, January 14, 2022

January  14,  2022 

A PERSONAL  RELIGION

 
I begin life with no say in the matter – a seed and an egg – planted in my mother’s womb.
 
It’s as simple as that.
 
I end life with little say in the matter – dust and bone – planted in the under-ground – in mother earth – in a tomb.
 
And in between those two moments – birth and death – I can become conscious. 
 
About: life.  About:  the gift of life.   Why me?
 
And I spend my life figuring -  chasing – and doing more figuring – about family, work, religion, relationships, commuting, weekends, sports, reading, education, exercise, etc., etc., etc.
 
Life.
 
Love.  The different people I have met.  Relationships…. Discoveries …. People I like…. People who have taught me so much…. People who are fascinating, different, interesting ….
 
Life. Love. Light.
 
I search for meaning – to become enlightened.  I look into religions for deeper understandings – turning corners – a second, third, and  fourth looks -  and many times – where I have been before seems  so, so different – than before  - the older I get.
 
Christianity …. Judaism …. Muslim …. Buddhism …. Hinduism …. Atheism ….
 
Ideas …. Nuances …. Challenges ….
 
I spend time thinking that religion is ideas, systems, theology, teaching, organization.
 
Jesus.
 
I discover Jesus as a person – not just a word or words in a Bible – but as word made flesh – dwelling among us – a person – a presence to wrap my life around.
 
“Religion” – as someone described it: “It’s what you wrap your life around.”
 
Jesus: Life….  Light….  Love,,,.
 
Jesus: the one who promises to be there after I become dust and disappearance – distance – when I am on  the other side of the tomb.

 

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2022ection

No comments: