Monday, January 10, 2022

 January 10,  2022



EXPANSION AND CONTRACTION
 

The urge to pray and the urge to sin both seem to be ways of expanding ourselves – to become greater, better, bigger, more than we feel we are.
 
When I feel small, when I feel all alone, when I feel empty, I feel less.
 
It’s then I want to feel bigger, better, richer, fuller, more than I am.
 
So I better reach out for God in prayer – who then sends me – to love my neighbor.
 
Or I do the opposite: I try to put down my neighbor, so I can use him or her as a pedestal.
 
Or I use my neighbor – or cheat my neighbor – or steal from my neighbor.
 
Paradoxically, when I pray or when I sin, I contract. I shrink. I become smaller.
 
This religious stuff is always tricky like this.
 
When I commit a real good – or should I say – real bad – sin, I end up humbled, rejected, cut down, and reduced.
 
When I reach out for God, I meet greatness - but  end up feeling small – empty in God’s presence.
 
But I also can now fit through the eye of the needle.
 
I can now become filled up on the other side with the riches of the kingdom.
 
Jesus taught all this.
 
Jesus is God – and emptied himself – when he became one of us and emptied himself even more by becoming our servant. [Cf. Philippians 2: 5b-11]

He was put down, contradicted, crucified, for what he was telling us to do – to do the same thing – but now Christ fills the universe. 

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2022


No comments: