Thursday, May 16, 2019


FEET

INTRODUCTION

Today is the 4th Thursday after Easter.  Today’s readings are Acts 13: 13 - 25 and John 13: 16-20.

I noticed the mention of feet in today’s first reading - as well as today’s gospel, so I wondered if I could come up with a short reflection on feet.

I’ll try.  I don’t remember doing anything on feet before - but maybe …. So here goes.

FIRST READING

Today’s first reading ends with a quote from John the Baptist: “Behold, one is coming after me; I am not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.”

The reading mentions the travels of Paul and his companions  - starting by sailing - then came the walking.  It also mentions the travels of the people in the desert for 40 years.  If they had Fitbit - how many steps would they have taken each day.  It was a different time - most travel was by foot.

Am I grateful for my feet - for all they have done for me in this life. I remember the old saying.  “I thought I was really hurting when my foot was sore, till I met someone without legs.”

TODAY’S GOSPEL

Today’s gospel  begins with mention of Jesus washing his disciples feet.

That’s a great Gospel message: the Christian life is all about service and foot washing.  I’ve heard some scripture scholars speculating on whether it was an early Christian sacrament.

That would be nice - a sacrament that Christians could give each other - especially after a long day on one’s feet.  I have happy memories of getting hot water and putting Epson Salts in a plastic bucket for my dad - after he got home from work.

JESUS AND FEET

We see in the gospel a few texts about feet - as well as hands.

Let me start with hands and then get to feet. Hands and feet are quite similar - 26 bones in our feet - and 27 bones in each hand.

Jesus said,  “If your hands or your feet  cause you to sin, cut it off.” Metaphor of course. [Matthew 18: 8]

Jesus reached out and touched lots of people  - and healed them. “He touched a woman who was sick and the fever left her.” [Matthew 8:15] 

He healed the man with the shriveled hand [Matthew 12:10-12].

With Judas present, he said, “The one who dips his hand into the dish will betray me.” Matthew 26:23.

In  Mark 1:31, Jesus grasped a woman by the hand and lifted her up as he healed her. 

Took Jairus daughter by the hand and said Tailita Cumi  Mark 5: 41

He said to Thomas “Put your hand into my hand and into my side and believe.[John 20:25, 27]    The Pharisees were off on externals like washing  hands [Matthew 15:2]  Check John 24:29.

Then there are feet. They laid the sick at his feet and he healed them Matthew 15:30. They laid the sick at his feet and pleaded with him Mark 3:11 and  5:22.

Two times women touched Jesus’ feet. He goes to the house of a Pharisee, who is only interested in criticizing  him - so he does not provide Jesus with water to wash his feet after a dusty road. Then a woman comes in and washes his feet with water and her tears and dries them with her hair and kissed them. [Luke 7:44]  Another woman - in John 11: 2 - perfumed and dried with tears.  Men and women were not supposed to associate with each. Touch and hair were out.

Then in John 13 Jesus washed his disciples’ feet and kissed them 

THE JOURNEY

The great-grandfather in the nursing meets his great-grandson.  He’s in a wheelchair. They place little Toby in his arms. He smiles. Toby smiles. He reaches for Toby’s left foot - and rubs it and Toby likes it.
He thinks of his feet and ponders how many steps Toby will take before he’s a great-great grandfather.

He thanks God for the gift of feet - all the steps he took - once he learned to walk - especially because of the gift of his father helping him to take his first steps.

He thinks about podiatrists and foot doctors - and surgeons who work on ankles and broken toes and feet - and thanks God for them.

He thinks about those who practice reflexology and the good they can do for the whole body. Check out their maps.

The mysterious communion of life and touch.

FEET

Let me close with a moment in my life. 

I once met an old man - who said, “Every morning when my alarm goes off, I keep my eyes closed as I shut off my alarm. Then I wiggle my toes and if they wiggle, then I thank God for the gift of a new day of life.

From that I learned the “Wiggle your toes prayer.”  We can wiggle our toes any time of the day or the night and say, “Thank you God for the gift of life and for all the stairs I climbed and all the roads I have walked and all the people I have met on my journeys. Amen.

We can wiggle our toes anytime - at boring meetings, red lights - but be careful - and long sermons. Amen 

No comments: