Monday, February 11, 2019



HEALING PLACES, 
HOLY PLACES 


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 5th Monday in Ordinary Time is, “Healing Places, Holy Places.”

Churches are holy places - as well as healing places.

LOURDES

Today we celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes.

Lourdes is certainly one of the planets great holy places and healing places.

What are your holy places?  Where are your healing places?

Father John Barry - who taught us in the minor seminary - once said in the classroom, “If you ever get a chance to go to Lourdes, go.” Then he added, “And make sure you got to the baths there.”

In 1996 I got my chance on a trip to Ireland and then France with my two sisters and my brother-in-law.  Each of us got a spot to pick in France. My sister Peggy - a nun - picked Lourdes - maybe because today - February 11 - her birthday.  My sister Mary picked Bordeaux. Her husband picked Paris. I picked the most important Marian Shrine in the world: Chartres.

Each - was a healing place - a neat picture of St. Alphonsus in Bordeaux and Montmartre - the church of the Sacred Heart  -  Sacré-Cœur - overlooking Paris. Chartres was on my bucket list. And my sisters to their loss wouldn’t go into the baths when we visited Lourdes.




VARIOUS HOLY AND HEALING PLACES

The title of my homily is, “Healing Places, Holy Places.”

Today’s two readings can be healing places.

Many people sit with their Bible - which puts them in a holy place and a healing place.

The first reading is the beginning of the Book of Genesis. It tells us of the creation of the world. [Cf. Genesis 1: 1-19.]

Where are your Holy Places: the Maryland Shore, the mountains, the oceans, the sky at night, looking out the kitchen window at the morning sunrise?  Where are your healing places: the bathtub, a good shower, your marriage bed - whether your spouse is living or dead [memories] swimming, exercising, walking, a good book, shopping,  a rocking chair, a nap, sleep, a good meal out with family or friends, Thanksgiving Dinner, seeing a baby or baby-sitting a grandkid?

Where are your healing moments with Jesu?  The people in today’s gospel [Mark 6: 53-56] - just had to touch the tassel of Jesus’ cloak - or the hem of his garment as we heard last week - and they were healed. How do you touch Jesus: in communion, in the bread, in the readings, in the adoration chapel, at Mary’s shrine, in prayers?

My mother on the way home from work - taking care of an older woman who was younger than she was - but basically bedridden, my mom would get a whole loaf of fresh rye bread - uncut - stress on the fresh - and she would put on a pot of tea and eat the whole loaf - with cold butter - cold, cold butter on freshly baked rye bread.  It can be very healing after a long day of work - especially with my sister Mary.


Food, friends, bread, wine, communion with each other - what a great Mass of healing for anyone!

CONCLUSION:

The title of my homily was: “Holy Places - Healing Places.” Lourdes, Chartres, Fatima, the Grand Canyon, Lake Louise, all can be great holy places  - wonderful healing places - to visit, so too your favorite chair at home or bench here in church.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe this
web site needs far more attention. I'll probably be
back again to see more, thanks for the info!