Friday, February 15, 2019

February 17,  2019




 GOING TO COMMUNION 
IN THE DARK OF NIGHT

Sometimes when I’m at church
I look at the backs of heads - and
wonder about what’s going on
inside the dark of another’s mind.

Sometimes when I’m at church
I look at faces - as another comes
back down the aisle - after receiving
Holy Communion - union with Christ.

Sometimes when I wake up at
two-thirty in the morning, I walk
down to the back porch and look
out into the dark night - past the stars.

Sometimes if it’s cold in the dark
night I get out of bed and walk into
my inner room - close the door -
and enter into deep communion.

Sometimes in these moments of
Holy Communion,  I know you know,
what’s inside my mind and behind
the smile on my face in the dark.


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2019

No comments: