Saturday, February 2, 2019


WATERMELON SEEDS

The little girl was amazed at the
size of a watermelon compared
to an apple, an orange and a grape.

After her mom cut it open for
an after dinner treat - the little
girl was amazed at the color red.

She was expecting green inside -
but no,  it was a rich juicy red
and then she saw the seeds.

“Mommy, mommy, if I plant them,
will I get a watermelon?" Her mom,
a city girl,  said, “I have no idea.”

Well, the little girl, took those
watermelon seeds and planted
them - in big rusty red flower pot.

Every day - when she got home
from school - she watered and
inspected the dark brown soil.

The seeds slowly sent roots down
and green stem and leafs up -
but no watermelon ever showed up.

“Mommy?

Why didn’t you tell me about the birds 
and the bees? Why didn’t you tell me 
how watermelons come to be?"

 © Andy Costello, Reflections 2019











No comments: