Tuesday, November 6, 2018


I  GOTTA’S

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “I Gotta’s.”

An “I gotta” [SPELL IT OUT  “I  GOTTA”]  is one of those inner self-complaints or self-hopes  or self-calls to get something done or accomplished - to take care of unfinished business - to resolve a resolution.

“I gotta clean out the trunk of my car.”  “I gotta finish that book that is still sitting there and I paid $29.95 in Barnes and Noble for it .” “I gotta call my buddy Charlie. Haven’t talked to him in a year.” “I gotta pray more.”

A guy recently told me that he  realized he had a lot of unfinished business in his life. And thinking about his multi-inner- naggings, he said he chose one that he has been able to do.

He writes one specific letter - one a week -  to someone who had been part of his life. That’s 52 a year. It’s handwritten. It’s a few pages. And he’s been doing it for a few years now. And receivers  say, “Wow. Thank you.”

If someone did something like that as a result of this sermon, wow, that would be nice. But don’t tell me about doing one of your “I gottas” as a result of this homily till you do one of your “I gottas”  for at least 2 years. Then send me a letter about what you did and make my day.

TODAY’S GOSPEL

Today’s gospel could be entitled, “Excuses!  Excuses!”

As you know, Jesus was not inviting folks into a church. He’s inviting people into an attitude - into a state of the mind and heart - called, “The Kingdom.”
The Church is not the end - but a means to do and practice and live the Spirit of the Kingdom - Jesus’ dream and hope on how we live life for each other each day.
As you know very well, the church forgets this all the time - and the result is we get ourselves mixed up - thinking of self - being self-centered  rather than being other centered - our purpose for being in our world.

TODAY’S FIRST READING

Today’s first reading is one of those “Have to know texts” from the Bible.

You don’t have to read the whole Bible - but key Bible words ought to becoming us.

So for starters, it helps to know key texts - knowing, learning, chewing upon, digesting, praying, making them part of our being.

One every week is too much. Maybe 2 or 3 a year is more like it.

I learned this by accident from a Jesuit - Frank Miles -  whom I went to for Spiritual Direction for a few years. He said after a long life as a priest he owned about 75 texts. About 75 texts is me.

It’s been my experience that most Catholics - and most Christians  - have about 5 texts they own. Just ask folks, “What’s your favorite Bible text?” and most will give you one or two.”

If a person has to run to a Bible to tell you, their text, that’s a  nope. They have to know it up front and out front. However, they can look up chapter and verse afterwards. Besides that chapter and verse were  not put into the bible till after the year 1000.

So tell me five texts you own.

I would say I own Galatians 6:2: “Bear one another’s burdens and in this way you’ll fulfill the Law of Christ.”

I would say, “Luke 15!”  Those 3 stories in there. They are mine.

I would say, “Matthew 25: 31- 46” nags me all the time. I was hungry … thirsty …. needing clothing - sick - in prison and you did or did not help me. That  determines whether we’re in heaven or hell right now.

I have done lots of funerals so the last section the of the 23 Psalm is mine: “Only goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life.” That’s why that text is read at almost every funeral because isn’t that a goal in life.

I own a bunch more, but for my 5th text that I own, let me throw in today’s first reading. It’s called the Kenotic Text or the Emptying Text:  The secret of life is to do what Jesus did. Empty yourself of self - so others will be filled with Christ.

CONCLUSION

The title of my homily is, “I Gottas”.

So today do at least one of your “I gottas.”

No comments: