Saturday, June 16, 2018


THE   GARDEN

I lost my soul there for a while ….
Actually -  it was a long slow while ….
Work, relationships - some iffy
for a while -  family -  the weekend life -
and then stuff - some forbidden fruit -
the basic indoor ingredients of actual  -
verbal and non-verbal  atheism -
when I  had to move east of Eden ….

I was not  running from God - just floating
downstream to avoid HINTS of God ….

Then I hit 67 plus - when I found myself
in the open sea of life - and death - when
I began  attending more frequent funerals
of  specific relatives and people I had met.

It was then, then, then, I began to know
I had this vast ruined - forgotten garden -
within me. It was overgrown with weeded
paths and a rusty wrought iron bench that
needed attention  - that is, if I wanted 
to meet and sit with God in the cool of the
evening after the heat of the day weeding.

God, once more, you asked, “Where am I?”
“Here,” I answered. Then I asked, humbly,
“Can I come back into the garden?”

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2018
Cf.  Genesis 2: 4b to 3: 24

No comments: