Tuesday, June 20, 2017


GOING THE EXTRA MILE

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 11th Monday in Ordinary time is, “Going the Extra Mile.”

We’ve all heard that phrase from time to time.

I’m underlining it in this short homily.

It comes from today’s gospel. It comes from the Sermon on the Mount, when Jesus says, “Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles.” [Matthew 5:41]

William Barclay in his commentary on Matthew gives evidence that in the time of Jesus - foreign soldiers - whom one often met on the roads or towns of  Palestine would be bossy and pushy - and push people to do more than the pushed person would expect.

So Jesus says, “Go the extra mile.”

POSITIVES OR NEGATIVES?

The benefits of going the extra mile is that it can make us better workers.

It can get us to give better service.

It can get  us to work with a smile more than a scowl.

Of course, it could also make us angry people - and set us up to being passive aggressors.

We’ve all seen fellow workers who do the minimum - and we’ve see co-workers who do the maximum.

We’ve probably noticed co-workers who go the extra mile - who go out of the way - to help someone - and others criticize them for this - mostly because they are thinking, “People will expect more from me - that I want to give.”

We’ve all been impressed with a store worker who sees us coming into the store just as it’s closing and they say, “How can I help you?” instead of saying, “Sorry. We’re closing.”

When I drive back from my sister’s in Doylestown, PA. I often hit the DQ on Route 896 - near Middletown, Delaware - just as it’s closing and every time they are wonderful. Not only do they let me get into the bathroom - but they let me get my Sugarless Dilly Bar.

I know a couple who longed for their last kid to move out. She finally did, but their other daughter, with 2 little kids moved in - right at that moment. Her husband took off without her.

THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF PEOPLE

There are two kinds of people: the minimalist and the maximalist.

Every kid in every school knows which teacher, which coach, which janitor, is a minimalist - does as little as possible - and which is a maximalist.

I remember an English teacher who took forever to mark our tests - and all that was on the back was an A, B, C or D. That’s it. That’s all.

I remember an English teacher who had our tests back within 2 weeks, and they were covered with red.  This teacher put in suggestions - suggestions about words. Make shorter sentences. Use more familiar words.

I’ve heard teachers say they love tests than can be marked that much easier and they hate essay questions. I’ve heard teachers say they love essay questions, because they really help kids learn better to express themselves.

I love waiters and waitresses who double check 3 times at a meal, if we want water - because I always get just water. I like it when they pause to see where the boss is  - and they tell us not to get something.

CONCLUSION

The title and theme of this homily is, “Going the Extra Mile.”

Go for it.


No comments: