Wednesday, February 1, 2017


WISDOM: BE  ATTENTIVE! 
WHERE  DID  THIS  MAN  
GET ALL THIS? 


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 4th Monday in Ordinary Time is, “Wisdom: Be Attentive. Where Did This Man Get All This?”

It’s kind of a long title. And I was even tempted to add the next line in today’s gospel: “What kind of wisdom has been given to him.”

PART ONE: WISDOM BE ATTENTIVE!

In today’s two readings: Hebrews 12: 4-7, 11-15 and Mark 6:1-6 - we hear about wisdom.

In the Greek and Byzantine rites of the Christian - as well as the Catholic Church - the priest at the pulpit says, “Wisdom: Be Attentive” as he holds up the Scriptures for the Faithful.

I must have heard that message chanted 25 times before I got that.

“Wisdom:  Be Attentive.”

I mention in homilies at times: Make that your prayer.

When the priest  or the deacon reads the scriptures - and preaches a homily - I think it’s a good inner saying to say to oneself: “Wisdom: Be Attentive.”

Listen up!

Lord, give me some wisdom today - an insight - a challenge. Pour some new wine into this old wineskin. Break open some new ideas and ideals for me.

So that’s message # 1 for today.

“Wisdom: Be Attentive.”

SECOND MESSAGE: “WHERE DID THIS MAN GET ALL THIS.”

Have you ever found yourself saying about something Jesus said, “Wow! That’s a great insight. Where did Jesus get that insight? What triggered it?

However, I have found out that some people never ask that question, because they see Jesus as God - Divine - and all his wisdom comes from being God - and he had it all from Moment One.

They ignore, leave out the message from the gospel of Luke, “Jesus grew in wisdom, age and grace before God and people.” [Luke 2:52]

I’m glad I was taught to read the gospels and then ask, “What triggered this comment by Jesus.”

So I picture Jesus in the carpenter shop. Some kids come in with their dad. He’s watching them as they start playing a game. I picture Jesus looking at the beautiful feathers of a bird - or beautiful flowers in the field and - who walks by - but someone who is a clothes rack or the front window of a store - screaming, “Hey world, look at me!”

And Jesus laughs comparing humans with birds and flowers. Who are more beautiful?

CONCLUSION

So there are 2 suggestions on what to do when you’re here for the Liturgy of the Word.

First to pray before hearing the readings and the sermon to say, “Wisdom: Be Attentive.”


And secondly: when listening to the readings, ask, “Where did Jesus or the writer of this text, get this wisdom.”  Like today’s first reading talks about bitter roots.  If you are bitter or don’t like better tastes, pull out the bitter roots in your soul.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Painting on top: John Everett Millais, Christ in the House of His Parents [1849-1850]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me. Many thanks!
http://educationclue.eu