Friday, October 21, 2016


UNITED  NATIONS 

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 29th Friday in Ordinary Time is, “United Nations.”

I listened to all 3 Presidential Debates - as well as some of the primary debates - and I don’t remember hearing anyone say anything about the United Nations.  In fact, it seems to me, that it’s rarely mentioned - except for criticism. At least that’s my unsure analysis.

71 years ago it was the dream of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Winston Churchill (He got the idea in the bathtub) - to pull together the nations - to work for peace and harmony and unity. The earlier League of Nations from World War I time had failed - but lasted from 1919-20 till 1946-47.

THE TOPIC

I choose the topic of the United Nations of today’s first reading. Every time I hear it brings back a memory of the United Nations. This was something that happened to me when I was younger, much younger, I  decided on my own to visit the United Nations on a Saturday. The place was closed.



I turned around and saw the big wall with the words of Isaiah 2:4 carved into the stone: “These will hammer their swords into ploughshares, their spears into sickles. Nations will not lift sword against nation, there will be training for war no more.”

Now that’s a text to throw into the Second Amendment debate discussions.

Then I saw a United Nations chapel across the street. I walked over. It was open.  I walked in and sat down and prayed for peace in the world.

As I sat there I saw that there was an Bible - I assumed it was a Bible  - laying open - all alone on the altar.  Being nosey - or intrigued -  I walked up front - climbed over the rope fence - and found today’s first reading from Ephesians. I didn’t look around to see if there were any search video cameras.

I stood there reading Ephesians 4:1-6 in the open book on the altar. Of all the texts in the Bible to pick for a chapel called, “The United Nations Chapel” this was a great choice.

Brothers and sisters: I, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love, striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace; one Body an one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Once more: that was a great choice for a United Nations message -  the call for all of us to work for unity.

A MESSAGE

My message for this morning would be: “Don’t po  po the United Nations.”

As already stated, the United Nations is rarely mentioned. It’s ignored. And when mentioned it’s often ridiculed.

Two comments:

First of all, if you don’t do any homework or study or finding out about the UN, listen to the issues the United Nations challenges us to work for: law and justice, drug trafficking and children trafficking.  It gets into human rights, peace keeping, feeding the hungry, financial stability, climate control, arms proliferation, drinking water, family, wages, to name a few.

Secondly, when people criticize the UN, simply ask, what have you read up about the UN? What do you know about it? What are its strengths? What are its weaknesses?  Maybe the person asked is University Political Science teacher or maybe they are someone who doesn’t have a clue about what they are talking about.

Pope Francis on September of 2015, Benedict in 2008, John Paul 2, in 1979 and 1995, and Paul 6th in 1965, spoke at the UN. What did they say? Have you read their comments? Would you still say what you’re saying about the United Nations after considering what they said at the UN?

CONCLUSION



Work for unity today. Pray for the UN today.

1 comment:

Mary joan said...

Excellent .

So timely for families , our country and the world .

Thank you .